Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThe fact that diversity needs to be executed so precisely
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13468328&mesg_id=13468631
13468631, The fact that diversity needs to be executed so precisely
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Sep-14-22 10:50 AM
only underscores that it's racism

"I'm all for it, but it needs to be done in such and such a way" IS the racism.

If a particular character or story is created and doesn't work creatively, fine.

But it's literally just "Black and brown people shouldn't be there".

Every last one of us overlooks all manner of inconsistencies and imperfections, things that don't make 100% sense, etc, in the vast majority of movies and television we watch.

There's always an undercurrent of "just go with it" in nearly anything we watch. And certain things stand out, and our brains just can't rock with it- and I doubt this is consistent from film to film, show to show.

I.E, you can rock with something absurd in one movie, that would probably not be an issue for you in another.

So when the lone issue is the skin color of the actors, and in this case, the caveat that it doesn't make sense because they're not as prominent in future episodes, just underscores that the issue really is just the skin color.

Moreover, there's no reason that the shift in racial dynamics can't/won't be explained within the context of the story down the road.

But even if it doesn't, the fact that people are supposedly fine with diversity as long as it's executed in a surgically, contextually precise manner only reinforces the racism at play.