Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectMy wife surprised me with tickets to see KRS-One, Rakim, EPMD
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13467378
13467378, My wife surprised me with tickets to see KRS-One, Rakim, EPMD
Posted by Mignight Maruder, Sat Aug-27-22 02:06 PM
and Mr. Cheeks. I loved the Lost Boyz, but can’t say I followed Mr. Cheeks career outside of that Lights, Camera, Action song 20 years ago.

Surprisingly I haven’t seen any of these acts in concert. I’m not a die hard (I favor more 90s era) but definitely love a good portion of their catalog and am excited to finally see them - especially Rakim and Krs One. All that to say, what can I expect from these guys and this show? Guess I’ll find out in a little bit.
13467379, I haven’t seen KRS live in years
Posted by Ryan M, Sat Aug-27-22 02:15 PM
But it would shock me if he’s anything short of entertaining as hell live. Amazing energy and just a good time.

The throwback shows are usually a ton of fun - the whole crowd knows the songs and love the whole bill so I imagine this would be a great time. I saw the tour with LL, De La, Ice Cube, and Public Enemy years ago and couldn’t have had more fun. Enjoy!
13467380, Saw that tour as well
Posted by DJR, Sat Aug-27-22 02:50 PM
I saw the tour with LL, De La, Ice
>Cube, and Public Enemy years ago and couldn’t have had more
>fun. Enjoy!

Yup, they all put on a great show.
13467381, Dayummm. That sounds fun as hell. I saw Slick Rick joined them
Posted by Mignight Maruder, Sat Aug-27-22 03:03 PM
on a few earlier shows, but looks like he’s not on the bill for tonight. Either way, should be a great time.
13467387, I feel like I'm too old for live hip hop shows, I don't feel standing up...
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat Aug-27-22 08:53 PM
but at the same time I feel like it would be weird sitting down at a rap show
13467392, I went to one tonight
Posted by DJR, Sat Aug-27-22 11:57 PM
I was at the bar for a bit, but the alcohol kicked in and the energy picked up so I got in the middle of it. Saw Big Pooh and a Justus League reunion of sorts. Came prepared by wearing some ultra boosts. It helped.
13467408, I swear by Ultra Boosts
Posted by Ryan M, Sun Aug-28-22 07:53 AM
Now that I’m 40 - I realized I’m not wearing Jordan’s when I’ve gotta stand for hours. Nope.
13467410, Exactly the convo I had with myself
Posted by DJR, Sun Aug-28-22 08:39 AM
I don’t love the look of the Ultra Boost personally, but I told myself that this was an occasion where I’d need to choose function over fashion. Easily the most comfortable shoe I’ve worn.

13467418, how was the show?
Posted by Pamalama, Sun Aug-28-22 01:40 PM
13467424, Lots of fun
Posted by DJR, Sun Aug-28-22 04:01 PM
Tab One from Kooley High opened, then Shame Gang. Then Pooh. All of the JL rappers were there, and at one point or another during Pooh’s set he had all of them come on stage and do at least one song. Also Lute came out and did G.E.D. The place went off when they did Lovin’ It at the end - lots of energy in there. All of them took pictures, and chopped it up with everybody after. Felt like a family reunion - good times.
13467425, Nice!
Posted by Pamalama, Sun Aug-28-22 04:32 PM
13467411, I just turned 40 and my wife is 35. We stood for like 90% of the show
Posted by Mignight Maruder, Sun Aug-28-22 09:02 AM
But there was a little bit of downtime between sets to get a drink, go to the bathroom, and sit. Neither act performed for more than 45 minutes, I think. There were definitely a lot of 55+ yo folks there and plenty sat through the show. It was a convention hall with theater style seating. Vast majority of those sitting ground level (majority of crowd) stood throughout the show while it was 50/50 in the upper level where we were.

I think it’s a given that these rappers are going to draw an older crowd at this point. As long as you’re not up close to stage, I think it’s fine to sit. I’m not there yet though, lol.
13467397, saw Rakim, Kane, KRS, and kool moe dee last summer.
Posted by tariqhu, Sun Aug-28-22 01:21 AM
Kane and KRS were both dope. high energy and lots of fun.

Rakim...................SUCKED!!! he had no energy. like zero. he was the headliner. people were leaving during his set. not all of that was his fault as there was a curfew for the venue. I wouldn't want to see him again right now.

13467420, RE: saw Rakim, Kane, KRS, and kool moe dee last summer.
Posted by The3rdOne, Sun Aug-28-22 02:50 PM

>Rakim...................SUCKED!!! he had no energy. like
>zero. he was the headliner. people were leaving during his
>set. not all of that was his fault as there was a curfew for
>the venue. I wouldn't want to see him again right now.
>
>

THis was true of the God even back in the day. I remember how I went to a show in Philly back in 88 with BPD, Biz, Slick RIck, PE, Eric B and Rakim. Of course PE was IT back then. But I never knew why the made Rakim go on AFTER PE. Even as a young kid I felt bad for him seeing everyone leave the show after PE shut it down.
13467428, Update: concert was fun as hell and definitely worth the $.
Posted by Mignight Maruder, Sun Aug-28-22 06:52 PM
It was cool seeing Mr. Cheeks perform - even if it was only like 3 LB songs and 2 solo joints. He played my favorites- Renee, Me and My Crazy World, Jeeps, Lex coups, bimaz and Benz, and Music Makes me High. Doesn’t work as well w/o Freaky Tah, but cool to see him. The sound kinda sucked for his set though.

EPMD surpassed any and all expectations I had. They really knew how to work the crowd and worked in some tributes to deceased legendary rappers. I felt like their time got cut way too short. They could’ve easily rapped another 30+ minutes as the crowd was loving them.

Rakim went 3rd and did his thing. He got the crowd involved and rapped for a solid 40 minutes or so. I know he’s not known for his stage presence but it was so dope seeing him rap the classics. Most of the crowd knew all his lyrics and rapped along. He brought good energy.

KRS-One closed the show and that he did. He was phenomenal. I always knew he had a great rep for his live shows, but sheeeit, he was on one last night. His stage presence, ability to work the crowd, and entertain is top notch. The fact that he’s this good at his age is inspiring. He spoke about police brutality before rapping Sound of da Police then closed with a damn good sermon/speech.

All in all, definitely a fun and entertaining show.
13467429, RE: Update: concert was fun as hell and definitely worth the $.
Posted by The3rdOne, Sun Aug-28-22 06:58 PM
>It was cool seeing Mr. Cheeks perform - even if it was only
>like 3 LB songs and 2 solo joints. He played my favorites-
>Renee, Me and My Crazy World, Jeeps, Lex coups, bimaz and
>Benz, and Music Makes me High. Doesn’t work as well w/o
>Freaky Tah, but cool to see him. The sound kinda sucked for
>his set though.
>
>EPMD surpassed any and all expectations I had. They really
>knew how to work the crowd and worked in some tributes to
>deceased legendary rappers. I felt like their time got cut
>way too short. They could’ve easily rapped another 30+
>minutes as the crowd was loving them.
>
>Rakim went 3rd and did his thing. He got the crowd involved
>and rapped for a solid 40 minutes or so. I know he’s not
>known for his stage presence but it was so dope seeing him rap
>the classics. Most of the crowd knew all his lyrics and
>rapped along. He brought good energy.
>
>KRS-One closed the show and that he did. He was phenomenal.
>I always knew he had a great rep for his live shows, but
>sheeeit, he was on one last night. His stage presence,
>ability to work the crowd, and entertain is top notch. The
>fact that he’s this good at his age is inspiring. He spoke
>about police brutality before rapping Sound of da Police then
>closed with a damn good sermon/speech.
>
>All in all, definitely a fun and entertaining show.

Props to your wife for doing that for you,
13467435, For real. She also got me tickets to see the Eagles vs Cowboys
Posted by Mignight Maruder, Sun Aug-28-22 10:41 PM
game in October, so this was the exact birthday experience. She loves hip hop, but old school hip hop isn’t her forte. She had a great time though and loved it.
13467430, Great to hear!
Posted by DJR, Sun Aug-28-22 07:16 PM
I’d love to see KRS, EPMD, and Rakim. Glad to hear they still got it.
13467434, glad you had a good time.
Posted by tariqhu, Sun Aug-28-22 10:23 PM
KRS is a monster and has soooooo many songs that keep that energy high.
13467476, thats dope
Posted by mista k5, Mon Aug-29-22 11:32 AM
i saw rakim back in like 05 and i had tons of fun. he was my undisputed #1 at the time so just hearing his music in a crowd was enough for me but i didnt have any complaints about his performance.

ive seen krs several times and he does not disappoint. so much energy.

glad you had fun.
13467447, KRS-One never disappoints live!
Posted by KnowOne, Mon Aug-29-22 08:41 AM
Seen him a few times.