Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectTONS of shows don't have monologues
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13466575&mesg_id=13466713
13466713, TONS of shows don't have monologues
Posted by handle, Wed Aug-17-22 03:46 PM
Most 11:00am-12:30am shows do because the audience wants them, because it is familiar and it meets their expectations.

Many shows from Dick Cavett to Tom Snyder to Greg Kinnear to Carson Daly have skipped a monolog but none of those programs were able to fill the traditional late night time slot in the past 20 years. And I don't recall any 11:30 show not having a monolog.

> I just don't know why the monologue needs to exist anymore, lol.
Just don't watch programs with it - they'll get the message if enough people do.

Frankly the interviews on 99% of these shows are shallow and skippable - when Seth was doing longer pieces starting at the "desk' I thought it was better.

And bad orange man is *actually* affecting the country daily - it'd be weird if people DIDN'T talk about it.

I mean turn on Bill Maher abut 10 minutes in - he talks about orange bad man for a few minutes then really lays into the real issues like how fat shaming needs a revival, or Hollywood casting can never be criticized. or watch the 'E' channel for shallow talk about upcoming projects.

Wait, I found the perfect show - Entertainers with Byron Allen