Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThis is the episode they needed
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13465653&mesg_id=13471556
13471556, This is the episode they needed
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Sat Oct-22-22 08:07 AM
The "Van Episode" from last season was rushed, and relied on gimmicks and surreal stuff to tell Van's story and I ultimately didn't buy it. Didn't connect to anything real (all of a sudden we learn Van is suicidal?!?! Where did that come from)

I love the bare bones, 4 characters, all set outdoors episode. The most expensive thing in the episode was probably that Sade song. When it started my wife's thought it was a strange song choice. By the end it was clear why they chose that song.

It was good to see Van and Earn getting along. But it was also clear that they were being ultra polite. Trying to do the best thing for their daughter. The episode felt sad and somber. You ever been out with someone with the plan of breaking up with them at some point on that date? That's what it felt like.

I'm like Legs and I kinda hated what Earn led with in the tent. It ain't Jodeci to lead with I can have anyone I want. But as I thought about it was real. The problem with professing love like 90s R&B lyrics is that it can seem shallow and fake and just the things you are supposed to say. Nothing we've seen in the show to date suggest Earn would talk like that.

Van did a good job of showing her vulnerability from their last confrontation (I played the table tennis scene for my wife after this episode to remind her when they last spoke on it). She made Earn work. Earn it. I think a lot of women would have been happy just that he asked, or wanted to be a good dad and have a family. She was in her right to want more. Where she was coming from made perfect sense.

For the entire season them having a child seemed a throwaway. Never saw her, never really impacted the story, this season is the first season she had lines. I think Glover didn't have children when the show started. The little girl barely had 10 lines, but she was centered. She didn't do much this episode but that smile at the end was the whole thing. Kids can feel parents dynamics and you can be polite as you want around them, but they know when something is off. Her characters quietness and somberness through out the season was by design. And her smile at end was a sign a corner had been turned in Earn and Van's relationship.

That Sade song though. That Best of Sade use to be my go to SMASH CD so it was just a great choice for me. Earn was literally on his knees for Van in that tent. Love is definitely stronger than pride.

Yes it was a slow episode. But this relationship is central to the show and they needed to take their time to resolve (just like they need to take their time to deal with Paperboi dealing with his mom's death). They did what they needed to do.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"