Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectOn first listen, I don't like it :(
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13463695&mesg_id=13465211
13465211, On first listen, I don't like it :(
Posted by handle, Wed Jul-27-22 09:49 AM
I think the production is way "too mellow" for me - I want some boom-bap sounds -or- more energy. The music is too laid back.

Also the rapping can sound *mad* lazy. As said earlier in this thread I think Joey has *a lot* more he can offer.

I remember Chuck D saying "My music is hectic and my life is not." Maybe it's the opposite for Joey?

He has too many raps (for me) either about how he has to hold heat because of the snakes and haters - how people changed when he changed - about how much his success has affected his relationships (because the other people are loser-ish) - or just what a cocksman he his now. Maybe this reflects his experience now , but it's something I relate to.

And I liked none of the nods to older music - especially the track with Diddy that flipped DeBarge.

Also none of the songs seemed fun.

The music and lyrics may reflect where he is at as a person and an artist now - but it's not what I'm looking for.

I hope the next one is better for me and I'll go back to listening to 1999, Summer Nights (the shorter version), and B4.Da.$$.