Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI think I’m having an anxiety attack
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13462261
13462261, I think I’m having an anxiety attack
Posted by MEAT, Mon Jun-13-22 10:48 AM
Ive been through layoffs at at least three different companies and each one has been particularly jarring and traumatic. Feeling that I will be ok after this one isnt helping me deal with being here.

And it’s really the anticipation more than anything else. Whether I keep my job or not, it’s that every email or teams message or meeting moved around is just a point of panic.

A woman I set up a meeting with Friday. Went to email her today for the meeting. Gone
13462263, I don't understand how we went from the Great Resignation to Layoffs.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Jun-13-22 11:03 AM

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13462268, Publicly our layoffs are based on a vibe
Posted by MEAT, Mon Jun-13-22 11:25 AM
Privately nobody has any idea why. Profits are up. Work load is up. Workforce need is up.
And all for the foreseeable future.
13462269, Publicly our layoffs are based on a vibe
Posted by MEAT, Mon Jun-13-22 11:25 AM
Privately nobody has any idea why. Profits are up. Work load is up. Workforce need is up.
And all for the foreseeable future.
13462271, ego.
Posted by FLUIDJ, Mon Jun-13-22 11:29 AM

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"
13462277, Understatement.
Posted by MEAT, Mon Jun-13-22 12:26 PM
If I get to make my year I dont see myself staying long past it.
13462272, Recession is coming soon.
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Mon Jun-13-22 11:39 AM
Inflation spiraled out of control real quick. Only way to fix it is with a recession
13462273, Only way to get Republican president again
Posted by handle, Mon Jun-13-22 11:41 AM
Then all the investors feel magically wonderful again.

13462278, If you have sales and orders for at least two years out
Posted by MEAT, Mon Jun-13-22 12:28 PM
On a product of need, a recession may come but the impact to the business won’t be the quantity of layoffs announced. This is all “vibes” dude has publicly said as much.
13462280, You work for Tesla?
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Mon Jun-13-22 12:38 PM
13462598, the resignation stuff was way overblown.
Posted by tariqhu, Thu Jun-16-22 08:56 PM
yeah, some folks were leaving jobs, but they didn't all go to the unemployment line. It also seemed to be more about folks who had jobs the generally don't pay well like warewhouse or fast food jobs.
13462270, damn. it's the mind games that burn most....smh. Hopefully you're able
Posted by FLUIDJ, Mon Jun-13-22 11:28 AM
to tap into new wells of inner strength built up from the last go around.
13462279, I personally will be fine one way or the other
Posted by MEAT, Mon Jun-13-22 12:30 PM
But it’s the not knowing that makes every email or teams meeting or message or just any change anxiety inducing.

Im about to experience a life changing event. We all are. But most of the folks here are too young to realize it.
13462281, Gotta try to focus on things that you can control
Posted by Nopayne, Mon Jun-13-22 12:47 PM
You don't have a ton of influence over whether you get laid off or now. You do have the ability to plan for its possibility and try to set yourself up to reduce the impact.
13462289, This! Wife’s gig is in limbo and she has summers off
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Jun-13-22 01:26 PM
it basically gives us a glimpse of how life will be on one salary. It will be scary once our parents insurance runs out and we have to shop or use my employer.

We are opening a HELOC account to remain flexible. We have plans for home renovations but we may chill and just lay low for a while.

13462287, man.. that shit is real
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Jun-13-22 01:14 PM
good luck homey
13462288, i know and hate that feeling so much
Posted by Mynoriti, Mon Jun-13-22 01:23 PM
you ether get text or come in to work and hear about who got axed, then start thinking ahead in the worst way.

i remember one day so sure i was gonna get it that the phone rang and i swear i felt like D'Angelo with WeeBay walking behind him because i knew this was it... until it wasn't.

i agree to focus on what you can control. but i also realize how much easier that is to say from outside.
13462313, <----- Down six figures on crypto.
Posted by Kira, Mon Jun-13-22 05:43 PM
I don't have anxiety attacks but occasionally I shiver and suffer odd non contact injuries.

This recession makes no sense at all.
13462715, RE: <----- Down six figures on crypto.
Posted by jimaveli, Sun Jun-19-22 10:37 AM
>I don't have anxiety attacks but occasionally I shiver and
>suffer odd non contact injuries.
>
>This recession makes no sense at all.

I don’t know! My lazy, conjecture-filled guess is something like this…

‘Money got really cheap for a while. People with bunches of money went wild with accessing the cheap money. Gov’t printed a bunch of money to try to Febreze the fact that things weren’t going as well as they looked to be going. Stock market and Brypto going wild while we were stuck at the house. I had buddies with long-term financial/stock market knowledge yanking large sums of money out of the stock market for fear that an adjustment/crash was inevitable. Now we’re on the other side of all of that. Covid was expensive af and we’re going to pay for it one way or another. And of course, the mfers with big money have already made their moves/they’ll be fine while we’re all getting laid off, paying high prices for everything, and hoping we don’t get shot at a restaurant’.

How about it? What’s obviously wrong? What’s missing?

13462314, If I stay my team is getting dismantled
Posted by MEAT, Mon Jun-13-22 07:24 PM
I got a soft offer to take a similar internal role
But our team hasnt done cuts yet
So nothing is solid
I volunteered for front line work for the rest of the week
Sitting at the desk future planning isn’t gonna work for me. Today was miserable.
13462526, damn.. was this the dreaded news you were expecting
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jun-16-22 10:56 AM
13462529, Still no answers for my time.
Posted by MEAT, Thu Jun-16-22 11:08 AM
My dread is the in unknown. Im being asked to do 3-6 month work assignments when I don’t know if I’ll be here come Monday. How can I scope my speed of work or prioritizing with that level of unknown looming.
13462523, sending energy your way
Posted by SsenepoD, Thu Jun-16-22 10:41 AM
i know that feeling of impending doom in the job market, just waiting for the other shoe to drop.
13462587, I'm sorry that your job situation is so unstable and chaotic
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Thu Jun-16-22 04:52 PM
It's a valid reason to feel the anxiety you do.

From what you've said, your anxiety seems situational, so it may fade once you get news of your status moving forward. But do you have neutral people you can talk to and alleviate your anxiety? Or do you have healthy coping strategies, e.g., therapy, exercise, meds?
13462590, Its the unknown. If there’s no clarity on the change, anything is a sign of change
Posted by MEAT, Thu Jun-16-22 06:05 PM
Outlook assigning titles
Admin emails
Badge working or not
Teams people dropping out of chat
Its unsustainable
Every notification cant be a cause for concern
But without clarity every notification is a cause for concern
13462704, Caught between a rock and a hard place
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Sat Jun-18-22 09:04 PM
Collectively, as workers, we're so insecure because our lives are in the hands of people who often have no idea what they're doing.

Bouts of 'rational anxiety' are the worst. Intellectually you notice that every bit of uncertainty isn't a reason to worry, but emotionally you also see that every bit of uncertainty is a reason to worry.

Again, I wish this weren't happening.
13462621, You got this bro.
Posted by flipnile, Fri Jun-17-22 09:50 AM
Confident that this will soon all be water under the bridge for you.

Make sure you take some time for yourself to do the things that truly bring you peace.
13463407, Funny how quiet it can get when a stock trading window closes.
Posted by MEAT, Tue Jun-28-22 11:58 AM