Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThis list is weird and terrible, even by RS standards.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13461964&mesg_id=13462158
13462158, This list is weird and terrible, even by RS standards.
Posted by Mignight Maruder, Thu Jun-09-22 03:38 PM
I stopped caring about lists a long time ago and I’d never look to RS as some reliable source for hip hop, but this list is pretty embarrassing by their standards.

It’s weird bc there’s an obvious appreciation for some more ‘underground’ acts like Souls of Mischief, Ultramagnetic MCs, Digable Planets, and Dr. Octagon, but there’s also love for acts that are definitely more pop than hip hop like Lil Nas X, Cardi B, and Doja Cat. I mean, if you’re going to include those acts than why not include Hammer, Nelly, Kriss Kross, and TLC??

I love the respect given to Ridin’ Dirty and Mystic Stylez, but don’t believe they’d have made their list 15-20 years ago.

They’re not in my personal top 10-20 (well Doggystyle and the Chronic might be) but how can you rank some of those duds ahead of Doggystyle, the Chronic, and Get Rich or Die Trying??? They’re arguably the 3 most anticipated releases of all time and certainly top 5-10 all time in terms of influence (for better or worse). Look at the dumb shit ranked ahead of Run DMC, Slick Rick, BDK, and Ice Cube. It’s lazy and inexcusable to me.

The rankings, to me, are definitely the most problematic (Soul Food at like #160). That and the omission of ATLiens and In My Life Volume #2 (not his best, but his most successful and contained some of the most iconic club anthems of the late 90s).

I already gave this too much of my time, lol. Feels like 2005 all over again.