Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectYeah that's how I'm looking at it
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13461964&mesg_id=13461995
13461995, Yeah that's how I'm looking at it
Posted by mista k5, Tue Jun-07-22 01:46 PM
Which albums they included is more important than the specific ranking.

I can list my top 50/100 albums and not really be able to tell you that #1 is better than #100. They're all in the same range.

That said, many picks on here that I wouldn't put on the list and many more that I would at least move down.

I took their intent as trying to give a well rounded view into all areas of Hip Hop music. It's hard to speak to the quality of the styles I don't like and for some of these I assume that's what the picks are.

There are definitely valid complaints about the placement of many of these picks. Based on their stated goal I think the biggest flaw is a recency bias. From what I remember they used to make these lists from an elitist perspective. If an album was released with in x many years it wasn't even considered. Only the most known and universally liked albums were on there. I appreciate them relaxing that but they went too far.

I feel like they needed to cap the position recent albums could reach. Maybe anything past 5 years is fair game but anything more recent is hard to justify putting it in the top 50 at minimum.