Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjecti feel like most comedy doesn't age great
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13461766&mesg_id=13462140
13462140, i feel like most comedy doesn't age great
Posted by Mynoriti, Thu Jun-09-22 01:06 PM
between societal changes and a lot of referencing current events, it's more times than not a product of its time.

it's a trip what holds up and what doesn't. Eddie Murphy's gay stuff is often brought up, but i was listening to his Rocky/Italians bit, and damn its perfect (i'd throw his "White Like Me" sketch in there too).
But even there, or in clips you pull out from the past of your favorite comedy bits, it never hits like the first time you heard it, you'll chuckle and appreciate it. but bust up laughter is so involuntary.

to me that makes it worse when people try to dig up old clips and hold that comedian to today's standards instead of just accepting its of its time. It's part of why i thought the Kevin Hart saga was so silly. It would be one thing if he was like i stand by what i said, but he had already apologized. he just didn't feel like he should have to go on interview after interview making performative penance over it.