Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectMy take is that you're correct in the conclusion of the album,
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13460312&mesg_id=13460999
13460999, My take is that you're correct in the conclusion of the album,
Posted by soulfunk, Fri May-20-22 02:40 PM
because that's the message of the last track Mirror (which happens to be my absolute favorite on the album.) He ends the song and album with that repeated hook "I choose me, I'm sorry" and it just HITS me.

BUT the rest of the album was a journey to get to that conclusion. The album is a full therapy session of him working through his own issues, and my take on it is that it's encouraging the audience to do the same. To not ignore the mental health discussion with yourself. To not take all of the issues of the world on your shoulders without first getting yourself right. And if you work through all of this yourself, maybe you reach the same conclusion as Kendrick - "I choose me, I'm sorry." But maybe someone else takes this as inspiration, works on themselves, and they come out on the other side better equipped and better prepared to start tackling some of the issues we see in the world.

Bottom line - you can't be effective in serving others if you don't first serve yourself.