Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI don't find it challenging like some people do.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13460312&mesg_id=13460437
13460437, I don't find it challenging like some people do.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Fri May-13-22 07:29 PM
It's an entertaining listen. Kinda like hearing a movie or a show, which I enjoy sonically. Most albums these days kinda bore me tbh. This one kept my interest and gave me some bops in the process. I may not listen to all the songs as one-offs, but I like them all in the context of the album, because the album has a story to tell, and I enjoy the story. It's his story, and it's told in a very relateable way. Some artists are able to pull this off with thoughtful content. The last I remember that really hit the mark for me was "Everything's Fine" by Quelle Chris and Jean Grae.

I don't mind some of the songs not standing alone as one-off listens. Every scene in a movie isn't a one-ff scene. Most of them only make sense in the context of the movie. This album is that way for me. It's a good audio movie. For instance, "We Cry Together" is a necessary part of the story. I have a similar scene in my own story, but you won't appreciate it properly without the rest of the story.

People are going on about "Auntie Diary" 'deadnaming' and 'misgendering' as if they're totally ignoring the fact that the song is written from the perspective of a child. Being disagreeable and contentious isn't the same as being woke. Alotta people don't get that tho. *shrugs*

I enjoyed the album. He's not the deepest person or some revolutionary (criticisms I've seen levied at him already) but I'd be a fool to expect him to be either. He's an artist bearing his soul in a creative way. I think that's enough.