Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectDid you old mf's know The Arsenio Show is back?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13460247
13460247, Did you old mf's know The Arsenio Show is back?
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Wed May-11-22 08:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiQAA6jPxyw

featuring Snoop Dogg, Quinta Brunson, Katt Williams and Chinedu Unaku
13460248, Yeah - they shot last week in LA
Posted by Ryan M, Wed May-11-22 08:31 PM
During the Netflix festival.

All for the Youtube channel. Which is cool! Can't wait to check these out.
13460250, again?
Posted by rdhull, Wed May-11-22 08:58 PM
13460251, Clips of Neil Brennan and Katt WIlliams have been in my IG feed.
Posted by JFrost1117, Wed May-11-22 11:25 PM
Arsenio was my Friday night "Stay up as late as you want to" treat back in the day. Then, of course, my body trained itself to blackout right after it went off because that meant staying up an extra 4 hours past normal bedtime.
13460266, RE: Did you old mf's know The Arsenio Show is back?
Posted by reaction, Thu May-12-22 10:11 AM
Great to see him back. I was disappointed in the hip hop artist community that there wasn't huge support for his last revamp in 2013. I think the original Arsenio show had an immeasurable impact on solidifying hip hop into the mainstream so I think it would have been nice if every huge artist went on the reboot. I remember Nas and Ice Cube and Snoop and Prince etc. coming on but I recall it still feeling like there wasn't enough of a groundswell of support equal to what Arsenio showed for hip hop.

In particular I remember that Will Smith never came on, I think Jada did, but never Will and if there is one person who helped Will the most in his career it would probably be Arsenio. DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince performed on there and Will was on a lot by himself. And then it was backstage at Arsenio where Will met Benny Medina which got him the Fresh Prince of Bel Air. After all that I just always felt bad for Arsenio that Will wasn't a regular guest on the 2013 reboot. He didn't consistently get big guests so he ended up being cancelled again after the Jay Leno debacle. Anyways I have no idea of the behind the scenes stuff, maybe Will and Arsenio had a falling out, from the outside the situation just always bothered me.
13460269, wait.. because Will met someone back stage he was supposed to
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu May-12-22 10:20 AM
play himself out by going on every season?

and I think Arsenio had a nice run but I also remember some rap artist beefin with him over not being invited or being invited and clowned. Didn’t De Le have a lyric about Arsenio throwing shade?

Show was dope but some things don’t last
13460272, RE: wait.. because Will met someone back stage he was supposed to
Posted by reaction, Thu May-12-22 10:49 AM
>play himself out by going on every season?

I'm just big on loyalty and to me it came off disrespectful.

>and I think Arsenio had a nice run but I also remember some
>rap artist beefin with him over not being invited or being
>invited and clowned. Didn’t De Le have a lyric about Arsenio
>throwing shade?

Yeah, De La were mad because Arsenio played the credits over them rapping I think. My favourite Arsenio lyric was KRS "Hear me yo, I'm four times on Arsenio, got ten videos, but does that help me flow? No."

>Show was dope but some things don’t last

Not if they don't get supported.
13460307, Solid points
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Thu May-12-22 08:32 PM
I agree that it would've been great to see all those artists, male and female, support him more.
13460310, He’s still a great interviewer but the cussing felt off
Posted by spirit, Thu May-12-22 10:06 PM
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiQAA6jPxyw
>
>featuring Snoop Dogg, Quinta Brunson, Katt Williams and
>Chinedu Unaku

I’m sure he curses off camera all the time, but I’m used to seeing him rock clean/network comedy, so it’s jarring to hear him go full Eddie Murphy Raw. I guess it would have helped if the jokes were landing, but they weren’t.

Still my favorite interviewer of anyone who does late night. Conan is second (and underrated), mainly because I think he does the best job of launching mid interview zingers and getting right back to the questions

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com
13460331, felt the same about the cussing
Posted by tariqhu, Fri May-13-22 09:13 AM
just didn't feel right.