Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectIt's not that big of an ask for us all to wish wellness upon others
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13450579&mesg_id=13451072
13451072, It's not that big of an ask for us all to wish wellness upon others
Posted by Vex_id, Tue Jan-04-22 01:37 PM
regardless of circumstances and/or life choices.

>Even with second hand smoke, the overall risk to those around
>them is minimal compared to the continued spread of Covid.

My aunt developed lung cancer from second-hand smoke. Never smoked in her life (but her husband did) - so there is a risk and smoking is a decision that can and does place others in proximate harm. In fact: Nonsmokers who are exposed to secondhand smoke at home or at work increase their risk of developing lung cancer by 20–30%. Secondhand smoke causes more than 7,300 lung cancer deaths among U.S. nonsmokers each year. That's not negligible.

But the point isn't that this is a perfect comparison. It's not - and there is no perfect apples to apples comparison. The point is that we should at least be able to rally together to ensure that everyone can get sound medical care if they develop severe covid, whether they are vaccinated or not.

I agree with the point about rebuking egregious misinformation and lies about the vaccines - and also am frustrated by the anti-vax/fear mongering identity that is being created out of this pandemic. But we also have to look at root causes for this: massive distrust in government and institutions. And quite frankly - people aren't wrong to distrust their institutions when you look at the track record.

>And the entire context of Reeq's sentiment- shared by many-
>isn't that they should die, or that he/we want them to die.

I mean - "if they die; they die" is pretty clear lol.

I completely get being frustrated by those who are (often knowingly) peddling snake oil and disinformation (often to elevate their own status and bank accounts). What I don't get (and will never support) is wishing ill will upon those who make different personal health decisions from mine - whether that's lifestyle choices, obesity, smoking, refusing vaccination etc.

-->