Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI am personally against calling anything "slavery" other than slavery...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13446545&mesg_id=13447085
13447085, I am personally against calling anything "slavery" other than slavery...
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Fri Nov-05-21 09:40 AM
So I came in skeptical but when I saw the first scene the hate is very overblown an if you saw the show and that's your only take away than shame on you.

The fact is a combine is very much like a slave auction block. Yeah there are important differences but we should all acknowledge that older white guys physically examining young black men for their physical prowess to decide whether to hire them for their team is gross. You can argue it might be necessary and important part of drafting players but its still pretty gross.

And that's all that was highlighted in the opening. It was a very specific comparison that is accurate.

But besides that the AI and hair stuff had a brother almost in tears. It brought back a lot of memories. Like all that stuff is a given and we don't think about now and it looks crazy to see how much hair cuts was a big deal at the time.

Also that idea of knowing some shit is racist and wrong but not being able to put into words or express it or feeling powerless to do anything about it?!? Felt.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"