Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectYea my bad - my post comes off a lot differently than I meant it.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13445928&mesg_id=13449430
13449430, Yea my bad - my post comes off a lot differently than I meant it.
Posted by Brew, Tue Dec-07-21 12:00 PM
For starters, I used the word "major" very poorly. My intention with the term "major dramas" was to illustrate that those shows are almost exclusively dramas, with some comedy mixed in. Whereas Insecure and SATC and shows in that "category" are primarily comedies with drama being secondary.

And in doing so, my post also came off a little dismissive, as if to say that Insecure is somehow a lesser show, which I don't believe it is. I was just trying to describe (poorly, it turns out) how they are in different categories in my eyes based on format and genre (1 hr drama w/comedy sprinkled in vs 1/2 hour dramady w/great character development, visuals, relationship storylines, etc.).

And then of course I totally missed the mark by pitting a "Black" show/a show targeted to Black audiences, against two "white" shows. That was definitely unintentional but that doesn't make it any less stupid or potentially offensive and to that end, I apologize. I'm usually cognizant of not doing that or at the very least, acknowledging it directly and explaining myself better to make clear that my intentions are not to do that, but I obviously dropped the ball in this instance. My bad.

With that in mind, I'm glad you mentioned SATC because I'd agree that SATC and Insecure fall into similar categories at least in terms of the loose "format" and tone of both shows. So were this post about SATC, my response about how the series finale/final season was going would be similar in that my expectations for the tone and direction of its final season (continued character development, great relationship storylines, some fan servicing) would be quite different than they would be watching final seasons for hourlong dramas like Sopranos, BB, or The Wire, et al where I, personally, would be expecting fireworks and deaths and shit like that haha - because that's what those shows had historically given me/us.

So with all that better explained (I hope, at least), your point here:

>Bc we can't deny that Insecure has been one of the only
>'major' comedy/dramas to center millenial Black women, men,
>and the things we deal with.
>
>So for those of us in that demo, I get why we might want a bit
>more out of that fan-servicing, you know?
>
>Like, Issa/HBO kind of positioned Insecure as a 'Sex And The
>City' type universe we can see ourselves in and relate to, and
>SATC itself was 6 seasons. So in that regard, ya I do crave
>the kind of character and story arcs (and replay value) that a
>show of this calibre typically provides.
>
>This isn't to come at you, or to say I don't think Issa and
>the Insecure team have done a phenomenal job both in and
>behind-the-scenes (they 100% have). But just wanted to
>pushback a bit about why it's not just some garden variety
>half-hour show (for some).

... is extremely well taken. And I know you're not coming at me at all, especially because you're 100% right. I probably overstated my point about "fan servicing," and again did not mean to come off so dismissive. I don't view Insecure as a garden variety show (and I know you weren't implying that I do) .. I think it's top tier, incredibly well-written, well-produced, well-directed, well-acted .. it's one of my favorite shows of the past 5+ years.

I was just trying to parse my personal series-finale expectations for shows in the half-hour "comedy/dramady" category vs full-hour "dramas." Which probably wasn't even relevant, looking back at the post I responded to. But I was just thinking out loud as we collectively talked about how the final season seems to be moving a little more slowly than we'd all maybe expect or hope. And again I did a pretty poor job of explaining myself in that regard haha. Hopefully I'm a little clearer now. My post was (supposed to be) about genre, not quality of the respective shows.

>I guess I should note that during the pandemic I developed an
>unfortunate addiction to Nigerian millenial soaps, which can
>go to hell and back in 30mins sometimes, lol. This has also
>shaped my reluctance to view things like episode length as a
>barrier lol

Hahaha ! What service do you watch the Nigerian shows on ?

Anyway I'm actually glad you said this because all of what I said above/the point I was trying to make is clearly shaped by how shows in the US have been formatted and presented to us. So my expectations about series finales are all kind of based on flimsy ideas about what shows fit into what boxes, probably largely based on that subconscious "training." And that's on top of my missing the mark about viewing all shows thru my white guy lens and my expectations, therefore, naturally being different than how the Black demo would view Insecure and their/your expectations for it.