Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectlmao oh pls. Yall could follow Crisco's livestock metaphors
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13445928&mesg_id=13449390
13449390, lmao oh pls. Yall could follow Crisco's livestock metaphors
Posted by kfine, Mon Dec-06-21 08:02 PM
no problem but suddenly "hooked up"/"hung out with" is too complicated to decipher lol

Anyway. To answer your question yes, we had, but I think context is key.

When I met him, I was still fairly new to the area and ran into him a lot bc he worked in my neighborhood. I was also bartending occasionally for some promoters I'd met and it turned out one of the spots where they hosted was a frequent hangout for Nathan-guy and his friends. He'd just kinda look out for me, tip well, invite me out afterwards, check in about whether I needed a ride home, etc - and it was on a couple occasions like that something happened.

I soon quit bartending altogether and he eventually got a better job downtown, so the vibe evolved more into him occasionally checking in or inviting my friends and I out. By the time he'd noticed my friend, we'd already spent much more time in a homie vibe than the other vibe (which was never really courtship/romantic/emotional anyway), and I was transparent about when and how I knew him to my friend and put in a good word about his personality. End of the day, I didn't mind them for each other bc he was actually a decent guy and upon further thought they had much more in common (eg. both really into basketball/used to play, extraverted, liked being out a lot) than he and I ever did.

I also want to point out that I'd met my then bf at a small get-together she'd hosted, but for that reason double-checked (with him first then her) whether they had history or any other reason not to explore things before agreeing to move fwd. And during my relationship with that dude, one incident involved his sibling's wedding which I attended - only to be propositioned for sex by his very married blood-uncle and hit on by a guy he'd known since elementary school (who I later found out was the 10y boyfriend/fiance of a woman good friends with one of my best friends) simply bc my bf wasn't by my side every second of the night as a groomsman.

So just goes to show that the "sloppy seconds" boundary can be perceived or crossed in a multitude of ways (especially when dating within a sub-community, like ethnic or religious). And for me, one of the strongest safeguards against drama is not necessarily declaring ownership over every single person one's had chemistry with, but simply acknowledging its propensity to happen in the first place and moving respectfully, always. Especially nowadays, like with the deluge of married men abusing matchmaking apps to cruise for ass, smh. Due dilligence is basically a must bc you never know whose husband or ex you could be unknowingly chatting with.

The one caveat I'll concede to you tho is that Kelly would have been around Issa and Nathan as a couple, whereas my friend never knew Nathan-guy and I jointly like that. Any husband, boyfriend, or fwb of one of my friends immediately becomes asexual/familial to me as I get to know them too, so tbf I could never ever be attracted to a guy I only knew BECAUSE he'd been with my friend. So you raise a fair point.