Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectLawrence bought Issa an ENGAGEMENT RING, did he not?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13445928&mesg_id=13449024
13449024, Lawrence bought Issa an ENGAGEMENT RING, did he not?
Posted by kfine, Tue Nov-30-21 04:58 PM
And iirc they began looking long before he found out about Daniel.

He was underemployed, not uninterested/uncommitted. Big difference.

But ya.. all Issa and Lawrence's Season 1 situation needed - for him to be who she desired in her post-breakup daydream sequence that ended the season - was a better job for Lawrence; and that's exactly what ended up happening. It's not like she adequately vocalized what was dissatisfying her so much until after she'd already cheated either.

And now that you mention it... I don't think I've liked 'Single Lawrence' throughout the seasons. To me... his hunger and passion improved because his *employment* situation changed and renewed his sense of purpose, not his relationship status. In fact if we focus exclusively on how he interacted with women post-Issa, Single Lawrence was just a garden-variety horndog randomly attracted to whoever lol. And even compared to Condola, with whom he seemed to actually want to make something work, I still think he was his sweetest/most-committed self to Issa out of all the women they've put him with.

So nah, no way I can defend Season 1 Issa lol; Lawrence didn't instigate/do her dirty at all. She fucked that shit all the way up. I respect your interpretation too tho.