Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectActor Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun on a movie set in New Mexico on Thursday, killing cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and wounding director Joel Souza, authorities said.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13445684
13445684, Actor Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun on a movie set in New Mexico on Thursday, killing cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and wounding director Joel Souza, authorities said.
Posted by AbdulJaleel, Fri Oct-22-21 01:28 AM
Actor Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun on a movie set in New Mexico on Thursday, killing cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and wounding director Joel Souza, authorities said.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/alec-baldwin-fires-gun-movie-set-killing-cinematographer-authorities-say-2021-10-22/
13445686, shit
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Oct-22-21 02:07 AM

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
13445687, Definitely wasn't a "prop gun" if it shot blanks
Posted by flipnile, Fri Oct-22-21 03:14 AM
And the burning gas still comes flying out that barrel, even without a bullet in the cartridge.

Wondering if there were live rounds loaded.
13445691, I’ve been on movie sets with Guns that shot blanks
Posted by spirit, Fri Oct-22-21 06:42 AM
It’s a prop gun because it’s used during filming.

As opposed to a gun Baldwin brought from home.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com
13445701, Soooooo....it's a gun?
Posted by FLUIDJ, Fri Oct-22-21 08:00 AM

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"
13445703, Yep. No difference. Prop guns are regular guns in most cases.
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Fri Oct-22-21 08:46 AM
Except for the replicas that are never meant to be or incapable of being fired.

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.
13445694, is it still enough to kill?
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Oct-22-21 07:03 AM
>And the burning gas still comes flying out that barrel, even
>without a bullet in the cartridge.
>
>Wondering if there were live rounds loaded.
13445695, didn’t Bruce lee son die from an improperly prepared prop gun?
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Oct-22-21 07:05 AM
A prop gun is still a gun
13445700, Yes. Brandon Lee was killed by a prop gun during filming of The Crow
Posted by Airbreed, Fri Oct-22-21 07:46 AM
the family spoke on what happened with Alec Baldwin and how similar it was to what happened to Brandon.

Brandon Lee's family speak out after fatal prop gun shooting on set
By Toyin Owoseje, CNN

Updated 7:42 AM ET, Fri October 22, 2021

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/22/entertainment/brandon-lee-family-speaks-out-halyna-hutchins-death-intl-scli/index.html

The family of late actor Brandon Lee has spoken out following the news that cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was killed and director Joel Souza injured after actor Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun on the set of the movie "Rust."

According to the Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office Hutchins, 42, was pronounced dead by medical personnel at the University of New Mexico Hospital on Thursday. Souza, 48, was taken to Christus St. Vincent's Regional Medical Center for care.
Lee, who was the son of martial-arts icon Bruce Lee, died age 28 in March 1993, while filming "The Crow" in North Carolina.
His name began trending on Twitter after members of the online community noted the similarities in the circumstances surrounding his death and that of Hutchins.

n a post on Lee's official Twitter page, his relatives expressed their condolences to Hutchins' family and insisted that such tragedies should never happen.

"Our hearts go out to the family of Halyna Hutchins and to Joel Souza and all involved in the incident on Rust," read the message from the account, which is run by his sister, Shannon Lee.
"No one should ever be killed by a gun on a film set. Period."
The Los Angeles Times reported at the time that the actor, who was on the cusp of movie stardom with his leading role in the surreal thriller, was fatally killed by a .44-caliber bullet when co-star Michael Massee fired a prop gun that he believed to be loaded with blanks.

Following an investigation, District Attorney Jerry Spivey announced that no criminal charges would be filed over Lee's death, saying that while negligence was a factor, there was no evidence of criminal wrongdoing, the New York Times reported in September 1993.

Lee's mother, Linda Lee Cadwell, filed a civil suit against the studio for negligence, which was eventually settled out of court, the Los Angeles Times reported the following month.
In 2005, Massee, who died in 2016 aged 64, said he had been left traumatized by the tragedy.

"What happened to Brandon was a tragic accident. It's something I'm going to live with ... It took me the time it took to be able to not so much put it in perspective but to be able to move on with my life," he told Extra TV.

"It's very personal. It's something that I wanna make sure when I work that it's never repeated. Therefore, I'm very conscious of things going awry on set."

13445717, this. doesn't it have to be fired at close proximity, though? how did baldwin
Posted by poetx, Fri Oct-22-21 10:01 AM
shoot two people with the fake gun?

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad
13445718, the gun is real.
Posted by PROMO, Fri Oct-22-21 10:04 AM
the bullets are (supposed to be) fake.

13445726, It had to be fired wild close…
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Oct-22-21 10:40 AM
the blanks used have everything a live round has, except the projectile. It does have a wax wad at the end to hold in the propellant. That gets sent out of the barrel with a great deal of force.
13445727, clearly it was improperly prepared for the shoot
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Oct-22-21 10:44 AM
13445729, they first the you are taught in gun safety is always assume that the gun...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Oct-22-21 10:53 AM
is loaded, even if you KNOW its not, you unloaded it, you cleared it, you still never point in the direction of anyone or anything that you're not trying to shoot.
13445731, more than likely it was the angle needed for the camera shot
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Oct-22-21 10:59 AM
13445759, ^^^ Alec trust that the prop man actually did his job
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Oct-22-21 12:07 PM
13445785, if that's true I feel like the director was irresponsible
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Oct-22-21 03:02 PM
13445732, Bro, for real…
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Oct-22-21 11:00 AM
I can take my weapon apart and clean it…when I reassemble it I STILL treat it as if it’s loaded.
13445728, Yep…a .44 revolver..
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Oct-22-21 10:50 AM
supposedly loaded with blank ammo…and there was somehow a live round loaded and he was shot in the abdomen.
13445690, now this is really sad.
Posted by double negative, Fri Oct-22-21 05:04 AM
heart breaking.
13445709, so incredibly tragic for everyone involved
Posted by Damali, Fri Oct-22-21 09:37 AM
that woman had a son and a family...how horrible for them...she apparently was also very well loved in the industry and was super brilliant in her work...ugh

i also feel terrible for Alec and the pain and guilt he will carry forever over this...hope he's able to get the help he needs

and the crew who were there to witness it..omg...its a whole mess all around

i hope they scrap the film and don't finish it...especially since the subject of the film is a 13 year old boy who is on the run after an accidental shooting...yikes

d

"I don't speak to provoke. I speak because I think our time on Earth is short and each moment that we are not our truest selves, each moment we say what we do not mean because we imagine that is what somebody what's us to say, then we are wasting our time
13445724, Jesus, terrible for everyone involved.
Posted by spades, Fri Oct-22-21 10:34 AM
13445735, Despicable as it sounds....Trump is probably somewhere laughin his ASS OFF at this
Posted by chincheckin, Fri Oct-22-21 11:03 AM
13445746, he would be tweeting about it if he could
Posted by mikediggz, Fri Oct-22-21 11:46 AM
13445738, all for a movie
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Fri Oct-22-21 11:18 AM
now it's become a real life horror movie within itself
13445739, I am suspicious as to how the headline is framed.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Fri Oct-22-21 11:23 AM
This isnt Alec Baldwin's fault. But alot the headlines focus on his role in this. It's only suspicious to me because the media and the right love feasting on AB.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13445745, Apparently a live round got into the prop gun
Posted by mrhood75, Fri Oct-22-21 11:45 AM
The prop masters union sent out an e-mail to its members this morning that a live round got loaded into the gun that was used. They're also saying the prop master on the film wasn't a member of the union, which is suggesting that he/she didn't properly check to make sure.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/10/alec-baldwin-fires-gun-kills-cinematographer-wounds-director-on-rust-set-1234673555/
13445760, Why are live rounds even on the set, though????
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Oct-22-21 12:08 PM
Like why even allow the chance for confusion. It’s like there’s a huge bag of blank ammo next to a huge bag of live rounds or something. Goodness…how sad.
13445763, Could have been left in the chamber and wasn't properly cleared
Posted by soulfunk, Fri Oct-22-21 12:10 PM
and checked by the prop master on set...
13445766, Verbatim the question I asked after Brandon Lee.
Posted by spades, Fri Oct-22-21 12:18 PM
Why are we even taking this chance? How does this keep happening?
13445767, Not as simple as that...
Posted by soulfunk, Fri Oct-22-21 12:28 PM
See below from Brandon Lee's wiki - they really have to trust the crew to properly set up the prop gun:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Lee#Death

In the film shoot preceding the fatal scene, the prop gun, which is a real revolver, was loaded with improperly-made dummy rounds, cartridges from which the special-effects crew had removed the powder charges so in close-ups the revolver would show normal-looking ammunition. However, the crew neglected to remove the primers from the cartridges. At some point before the fatal event, one of the rounds had been fired; although there was no powder charges, the energy from the ignited primer was enough to separate the bullet from the casing and push it part-way into the gun barrel, where it got stuck (a condition known as a squib load). For the fatal scene, which called for the revolver to be fired at Lee from a distance of 3.6–4.5 meters (12–15 ft), the dummy cartridges were replaced with blank rounds, which contained a powder charge and the primer, but no solid bullet, allowing the gun to be fired with sound and flash effects without the risk of an actual projectile. However, the gun was not properly checked and cleared before the blank round was fired, and the dummy bullet previously lodged in the barrel was then propelled forward by the blank and shot out the muzzle with almost the same force as if the round were live, striking Lee in the abdomen.
13445788, its sad but multiple people are responsible, unfortunately it will take...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Oct-22-21 03:12 PM
an incident like this to make Hollywood directors, actors, and prop people to start taking firearms seriously again, the Brandon Lee incident was almost 30 years ago and a lot of these people today probably weren't in the industry back then.
13445757, How did two people get hit?
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Fri Oct-22-21 12:05 PM
The director and cinematographer.

Multiple trigger pulls?
13445761, He was probably aiming towards the camera, with the
Posted by soulfunk, Fri Oct-22-21 12:08 PM
cinematographer behind the camera, and the director behind her. So I can definitely see how one shot would kill her and injure the director.
13445793, damn...
Posted by luminous, Fri Oct-22-21 03:46 PM
makes sense...
13445795, Yes but that then begs the question
Posted by Ryan M, Fri Oct-22-21 03:55 PM
Why would someone even fire a blank at a manned camera?
13445798, Right…
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Oct-22-21 04:10 PM
if he was firing a weapon as a character in a movie, why would it be directly at the camera?
13445799, AT the camera I can understand
Posted by Ryan M, Fri Oct-22-21 04:11 PM
Why someone was at that camera I cannot

Let alone all the other things here.

Absolutely preventable and tragic.
13445807, So, reading the link Eclipsed posted…
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Oct-22-21 04:20 PM
the scene was supposed to be a gunfight inside a church and Baldwin was backing out of the church…and I assume firing while doing so.
13445797, & so now, it's starting to look worse:
Posted by eclipsedInI, Fri Oct-22-21 03:57 PM
as if the first news wasn't

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-10-22/alec-baldwin-rust-camera-crew-walked-off-set

so the crew was pissed off at low wages, and mistreatment etc.

and walked off the set

and now someone's dead. I bet they'll try to blame the crew
13445801, wow
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Oct-22-21 04:14 PM
13445803, “there were two misfires on the prop gun, on Saturday…
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Oct-22-21 04:16 PM
and one the week before”. SMH
13445808, Truly can't exaggerate how much of a failure this is.
Posted by Ryan M, Fri Oct-22-21 04:23 PM
It takes SERIOUS lack of care, effort, and just general know how to fuck up THIS badly.

I don't know who is responsible. But whoever they are - this is going to be awful for them.
13445810, woof
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Oct-22-21 04:40 PM
13445811, damn.. now this sounds suspicious as hell
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Oct-22-21 05:16 PM
13445816, Raggedy as hell.
Posted by Castro, Fri Oct-22-21 07:08 PM
13445819, CGI question: could all gun scenes be CGI instead of prop guns?
Posted by spirit, Fri Oct-22-21 08:29 PM
Is it cost prohibitive to add all the gun effects in post with CGI to avoid the risk of an on set death from a prop gun? Seems like you could probably save some insurance costs and how expensive would adding some CGI gun flashes and shell casing flying out be? Add the gunshot sounds in post too. And avoid any tragedies like this ever again….

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com
13445821, i know Zach Snyder uses air guns and adds effects in post
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Oct-22-21 09:19 PM
but Snyder seems like one of the better folks in hollywood in general whether you like his movies or not
13445826, a lot of effects people are saying that even with real/prop guns
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Oct-22-21 11:26 PM
you still end up needing to add muzzle flash in post because it goes by so quickly that the camera doesn't catch it

13445828, that industry is sensitive when you talk about eliminating jobs...
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat Oct-23-21 12:19 AM
as most are but Hollywood seems extra dramatic about it and everyone has unions
13445830, Apparently all the John Wick stuff is done in post production.
Posted by mrhood75, Sat Oct-23-21 12:50 AM
So I imagine it’s possible, and will likely happen after this.
13445833, another thing is this was apparently a low-budget film to begin with...
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat Oct-23-21 07:54 AM
I'm sure CGI costs a lot more
13445835, I don't think CGI is very expensive for that
Posted by handle, Sat Oct-23-21 10:45 AM
Corridor Crew fixed the John Wick stuff, and they are just a small house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj3_R8nwy5Q

They can afford it on a movie with 'stars' for sure.
13445846, Yeah, I think we all over-estimate the cost of CGI these days
Posted by mrhood75, Sat Oct-23-21 03:51 PM
When people (including myself) hear "computer generated," most of the time our minds go to dinosaurs in "Jurassic Park" or giant spaceships in "Avengers: Endgame." But these days, even romantic comedies, where most of the budget goes to actors' salaries and location shooting, have loads of CGI shots, using it for stuff that we never notice.
13449290, It's way cheaper.
Posted by Nodima, Fri Dec-03-21 03:38 PM
There's a reason The Mandalorian shoots on a sound stage entirely painted over by a video game graphics engine, Game of Thrones sets would typically be a staircase and a couple walls to drag and drop textures from and John Wick is entirely faked other than the choreography.

The "problem" is, just go watch something like the extraction scene from Proof of Life (random example I just re-watched this week lol), all filmed out in the open with natural light and using squibs and real gunfire for all the effects and MAN does it look visceral. As long as the timing and blocking is locked in it's pretty easy to create a convincing gunfight.

Whereas John Wick partially always takes place in super dark locations because it's easier to just dim all those CGI gun and blood effects than try and match the lighting with the scene.

They don't go into it in this breakdown of the Extraction extraction sequence, but I'm seen the director say elsewhere that having the one shot that's fired during this sequence happen just off screen as the camera pans toward it was only partially for suspense, but also it removed a really difficult CGI render from an already super difficult and really grounded sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwn0J2OVDG4

It seems anymore that when directors or cinematographers opt for real gunfire (has ANY movie used squibs in the last five years or have we just given up?) it's mostly an aesthetic choice. They'll accept the fake blood but they just can't handle hacking a whack muzzle flare. Unless you're Sons of Anarchy in which case just embrace chaos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i17bKwWgGZs

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
13445861, It honestly may be *cheaper* to do with computers.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Oct-23-21 10:21 PM
It's an insanely easy procedure for any effects house-- there's literally a package you can download, and you can click, drag, and drop these standard "muzzle flashes" into the shot.

Every movie, even the cheapest ones, are already going to effects houses for little things here and there. Muzzle flashes are one of the quickest and easiest things to do, I've been told.
13445926, No. Sound and muzzle flash is easy but...
Posted by Triptych, Mon Oct-25-21 09:50 AM
ejected bullet casings: harder
gun recoil: almost impossible using a prop gun if you're looking for realism

shooting a gun moves the actor's body in a way that's almost impossible for them to fake - so blanks will probably continue to be used for realistic scenes e.g. Heat, John Wick, etc.

13445990, that's bullshit
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Oct-25-21 08:09 PM
nobody needs FULLY REALISTIC GUN RECOIL to make an even half decent movie

some dude remade john wick with fucking nerf guns and it looked just fine

13447275, lol ok
Posted by Triptych, Mon Nov-08-21 10:28 AM
13447276, IN NO WAY was John Wick remotely 'realistic looking'
Posted by handle, Mon Nov-08-21 10:31 AM
That shit was a super cartoon.

If they were using blanks then they didn't need to.

And I'm sure they weren't using blanks for *ANY* of the shots where he shoots people at close range.
13449275, This dude
Posted by MEAT, Fri Dec-03-21 01:58 PM
https://www.avclub.com/alec-baldwin-says-he-has-no-responsibility-for-rust-dea-1848154303
13449276, For fucking real. Just go away.
Posted by Brew, Fri Dec-03-21 02:00 PM
13449277, imagine being his lawyer and seeing this interview...
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Fri Dec-03-21 02:32 PM
...wtf was he thinking

13449287, I imagine this was highly lawyered and theyd be proud
Posted by MEAT, Fri Dec-03-21 03:16 PM
The PR rep on the other hand …
13449292, LOL exactly.
Posted by Brew, Fri Dec-03-21 04:55 PM
>RE: I imagine this was highly lawyered and theyd be proud
>The PR rep on the other hand …
13449293, yup & yup
Posted by Mynoriti, Fri Dec-03-21 05:13 PM

13449286, this dude said the gun fired itself.
Posted by Mynoriti, Fri Dec-03-21 02:53 PM
jesus
13449329, he is pretty clearly just telling himself the story he wants to hear
Posted by Rjcc, Sun Dec-05-21 05:28 PM

13483167, charges against Alec Baldwin dropped.
Posted by PROMO, Thu Apr-20-23 02:52 PM
can't believe there was people in this post thinking this wouldn't happen.

that's not me on some pro Baldwin shit. but the law and logic dictate this being the obvious outcome.
13483182, Always a stupid case against him.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Apr-20-23 04:17 PM

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"