Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectTried that Nearest Rye. It's...interesting
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13444938&mesg_id=13476305
13476305, Tried that Nearest Rye. It's...interesting
Posted by spenzalii, Sat Jan-07-23 10:47 AM
I got a TON of butterscotch and ethanol on the nose and palate. It's not bad, but it is very case specific. Worst I can say is it could stand a bit more aging, which may knock down the ethanol. But if you like the flavor profile or the brand, have at it. I'd buy it every day over, say, Angel's Envy Rye without thinking twice, if that means anything.

That said, if I'm going for a rye this wouldn't be the first bottle I went for, both in flavor or price (or area). Low end, WT 101 Rye, Old Forrester Rye or High West Double Rye! would be my jam. At the Nearest Rye's price point, Rare Breed Rye or Sangamore Spirits Double Oaked Rye would be in my glass. I believe Nearest sources their rye from Canada, and I'd find a bottle of Lot 40 and be happy. Any of those have a wider flavor profile than the Nearest rye, to me. I'll probably get another bottle to have, but I wouldn't say it's the best representation of rye whisky if you're trying to dip your toe in it.