Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: not to post jack
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13443951&mesg_id=13444343
13444343, RE: not to post jack
Posted by jimaveli, Mon Oct-11-21 03:52 PM
>But obviously the post had me reminiscing about some of those
>HS jobs and.....
>
>You ever stop to think about how CRAZY it is that we have
>straight up teenagers running ridiculous engineering feats
>like roller coasters, ferris wheels etc?
>
>There is sooooo much room for quick death.

Yes!

I think about it regularly. My kid has a few buddies who basically can't directly answer almost any question you ask them..like they aren't accustomed to a lazy azz 'I dunno' not being an acceptable final answer. They're barely teens but still. They aren't far away from having little jobs unless they're all just going to start Youtube channels and get rich from going viral and/or getting a following. I'd be horrified of leaving most of them in charge of anything critical where a wrong move could equal death.

I think about it when I encountered 20-somethings in work endeavors too. And really, sometimes it is the same thing..if you press them to give 'real answers' to even reasonably simple questions, it becomes clear that they haven't been pressed for real after half-answering a question..not at the crib, not at a job, not with their friends, and not a school. I thought that's what friends were for!!!!? Me and my buddies would grill the hell out of each other about every and anything! How come you didn't holler at ole girl!? She was right there..basically waiting on YOU. Dude, we're in this game. It's 14 up and we're not playing 'win by two'..don't miss no more layups. Man, you pulled a Cockroach at Dancemania on us!? For real!? what's up with that? Mane, you had the hookup on the movie tickets and didn't tell us!? WTF?

Or maybe it isn't that serious and the concept of 'privacy' has expanded since Geocities and people aren't accustomed to having their words be attached to their actual person outside of safe spaces and/or echo chambers. That's not great either..hell, 'I dunno'! Haha! But something is up.