Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: Kids NEVER wanted to work in fast food. I hated it LOL
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13443951&mesg_id=13444335
13444335, RE: Kids NEVER wanted to work in fast food. I hated it LOL
Posted by jimaveli, Mon Oct-11-21 02:38 PM
>I think to your point, they have (or feel they have) more
>options and as a result, don't want to work in fast food for
>any reason. I think the elimination of manual labor type of
>jobs (e.g. Textiles) being good enough to establish a credible
>middle class also is a factor. The kids coming up now do not
>have any other example other than sedentary work so fast food
>is out. For us, we didn't want to work at Mickey D's but
>wanted to (legally) get a check. I remember the "luxury" teen
>job was working at a grocery store or at the mall vs Fast
>Food, LOL.

I don't know if this is a post-jack or whatever, but I want to bring this up somewhere:

I don't like that it seems like a bunch of folks think they are 'too good' to be doing what they're doing. And this is an issue to the degree that it is obviously impacting quality of work in hella industries. Fast food/service is among them. I get that some people are more comfy being assholes to someone who is making their food so I see that part of it. But still, I don't appreciate this at all cuz I'm very much not the 'act a fool with someone who is making my food' person ever.

Where is the 'hey, whatever you're doing, that is what you are doing. SO DO IT. DO THE FUCK OUT OF IT! BE GOOD AT IT. You want to do something else!? Okay, figure it out then go do the hell out of that something else then! Now don't put too much salt on them damn fries..you know better than that!'?

Maybe you have already answered it...lots of people are coming from households were manual labor wasn't as much of a thing. And maybe even at the crib, they have landscapers and housekeepers. All of that. And even if it wasn't to that level, kids mostly have siblings, parents, and/or other family members who work office gigs so it doesn't 'look like' they are 'visibly working hard'. So there's a lot less 'my shoulder hurt cuz I was out there working my ass off'. And there's more 'my boss is wack'. Or 'my group is cool but we have to work with another group and they hire anybody over there'. Or 'these sales folks be trippin'. AKA people/work relationship shit.