Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI didn't see it. But I'll say this: I've never disowned someone for
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13443739&mesg_id=13445478
13445478, I didn't see it. But I'll say this: I've never disowned someone for
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Oct-20-21 05:47 PM
their LGBTQ views.

I have, however, cut out large swaths of people for their views on Black people and Black issues- and there were countless impassioned conversations leading up to that point.

You could say that the fact that I had so many such people in my bubble was/is a reflection on me, and that's fair, though it was just as much a reflection of my actual physical location and proximity, as it was anything else. But I digress.

I have those conversations less often now, because I just wound up pruning those people from my life nearly entirely. But I routinely have these discussions with my wife, family, and friends, as well as others online. Though, even that comes with some limits; my Black friends and family don't really need me going hard at every issue, because they deal with it day in, and day out, and don't exactly want to hear about it more than they already do. But yes, we have those discussions.

OKP really isn't a place for me to go HAM on the subject of Black issues, because this is a place where I largely need to listen more than speak, due to the high concentration of Black people here.

That isn't to say that this take isn't valid overall, or that I don't falter along the way, or that I'm somehow the exception to the rule. I'm just saying, I make plenty of passionate defenses of Black people and Black issues with non-Black people.

I can't recall disowning people for LGBTQ views, but that's largely because that subject hasn't really come up a lot until recent years.

And by that time, I had largely disowned most of the people who would have problematic views on LGBTQ issues for their problematic views on Black issues.

I don't know whether or not I pass any of Dave's (or anyone else's) metrics for what would qualify as a quality "ally"- a term I don't really care for, because I'm so deeply entrenched and invested, but it's also not my direct, 1st person, lived experience either. But again, I digress.

I suspect that it's not so dissimilar with the LGTBQ community, in any event. Because, even for the well-meaning and intended, for every impassioned argument and defense, I'm probably saying or doing something, somewhere along the line, that either doesn't quite nail it, or is detrimental to some degree.