Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWell, this post is a mess, but I watched it.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13443739&mesg_id=13444158
13444158, Well, this post is a mess, but I watched it.
Posted by mrhood75, Fri Oct-08-21 07:13 PM
IMHO, it's biggest "problem" that it isn't particularly funny. Outside of the MLK impressions, I barely chuckled.

Content-wise, there's a lot to unpack, but I think he's making a lot his arguments on bad faith. Honestly, it's a weird choice to make the subtext of the whole special about what happened to Da Baby. I wonder if he'd recording this a few weeks earlier or later if his whole set would have been completely different.

Yes, much of it is him trying to make points about intersectionality. I get that, but a lot of the times he comes off like Bill Maher after UC Berkeley students circulated a petition to ban him from campus. Most of the time he sounds mad that he can't tell jokes the way he used to/wants to. And I'm sorry, "killing someone's career" isn't at all like actually killing someone. Especially since getting "cancelled" his yet to actually end anyone's career as of yet.

I'd say the thing that I found the most problematic (along with his overall obsession with "LGBTQ people are being mean to me!") is that his main argument seems to be the women/LGBTQ aren't protesting or conducting themselves the way he wants them to or would like them to. And that's really arguing in bad faith. Especially the whole "I made a sacrifice and you didn't" stance.

And, yeah, I found the story at the end a bit disingenuous. As someone said above, it did come off as "Some of my best friends are Trans!" Then him sideways blaming the Trans community for her death was self-serving as well, on some, "Well, she didn't kill herself until she publicly defended me and the Trans community dragged on Twitter. So, you know..."

I don't know how long it'll be before he does another one of these. I don't think just "moving on" is going to be particularly. But I really hope when he comes back, it isn't more of, "These people are picking on me and it isn't fair." I don't need to hear another Eminem album.