Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThat's badly misquoted. I think you're talking about the part...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13443739&mesg_id=13444065
13444065, That's badly misquoted. I think you're talking about the part...
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Fri Oct-08-21 06:22 AM
where he tells the story of being on stage while she was in the audience. They were having a back-and-forth dialog, and then he tell her that he loves her but doesn't understand what she's saying. She then responds with "I don't need you to understand me. I just need you to believe that I'm having a human experience." Personally, I don't see why that's a mindblowing or light bulb moment. She's a human being. What else would she be having? Furthermore, he went on to say he believed her because she didn't say anything about pronouns or about him being in trouble. If she'd said something about him being in trouble, would he have been to defensive to see her humanity? That might be the part of this whole thing that can be squarely blamed on him. And if pronouns would shake his belief in her humanity, maybe he still isn't totally seeing her. I get that he's saying a person's humanity matters more than anything else, but a person's desires, boundaries, wishes, etc all matter as well. People are mistreated, devalued, and silenced every day by people who understand that they are humans. But I mean... if he helped somebody see that trans humans are human, that's a good thing no matter how troubling it may be that they couldn't see it in the first place. There's just more to respecting a person than understanding that they're human.

>they had a conversation on what she wanted to be called. she
>said, it wasn’t as important as not forgetting she’s
>human. or something like that, lol
>
>that was the lightbulb moment for me….
>
>