Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectAs for the trans jokes, idk how he expects to laugh WITH
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13443739&mesg_id=13443949
13443949, As for the trans jokes, idk how he expects to laugh WITH
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Thu Oct-07-21 08:57 AM
the trans community when there's such a fundamental disagreement. Anytime you talk to a trans woman, they'll say they've always been women from birth and that their body just didn't match the inside. "Sex is between the legs & gender is between the ears" they say (I think I'm saying that right). So when Dave says he's done telling jokes about the lgbt community until he's sure they're laughing together, that's one of the most obvious reasons yall aren't.

Also, while the story about his trans friend was quite touching, I have to ask myself if HE wonders whether or not his insistence on referring to trans women as men had some impact on her. Granted, there are people like Flame Monroe who don't give a damn what you call them because they identify as both on occasion, but idk much about his friend. I think you have to be careful when you're such a widely admired person, because it's possible that people will deal with less-than-favorable treatment to be close to you. I mean, THE Dave Chappelle let her open for him, so maybe she wasn't going to say "hey Dave, it's really offensive when you call us men" for fear of getting kicked off the show. And that kind of thing will eat at a person, make them depressed... suicidal, even... to think "here I am on the biggest stage I ever imagined, and it's given to me by my famous 'friend' who doesn't fully acknowledge me. Is this the best the world has to offer me?" If he had been able to think of that and address it here in the special, that would've been a real thoughtful and vulnerable moment. He recalls her singing his praise about not punching up or down, referring to him as her friend. I wonder if it's hard to for him to imagine that maybe she was seeing the best in him and loving him the way she wished her would love and see the best in her. Chappelle expressing these kinds of considerations probably would've done a lot of good for a lot of people