Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectNearly half of trans women will be the victim of a hate crime.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13443739&mesg_id=13443930
13443930, Nearly half of trans women will be the victim of a hate crime.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Oct-07-21 12:30 AM
That's in an old study from all the way back in... June 2021.

The violent death toll of transgender people grows annually.

90% of trans people reported workplace harassment.

More than half of trans men will attempt suicide in their lives. 30% of trans women will attempt suicide.

LGBT people, and especially trans people, are disproportionately affected by homelessness.

Trans people are disproportionately more likely to have HIV.

I could go on... but, like, I think it's pretty obvious that an inability to take jokes is not what's preventing trans people from being treated equally. It's the insane discrimination that comes from people not making even the most basic attempt to empathize. And a lot of that lack of empathy comes from people who simply don't understand. And jokes like the ones Dave tells encourages people to continue to not understand.

Dave joking about trans people because people tell him not to... is like Kyrie refusing the vaccine because people tell him to get it: it's more important for him to feel correct than it is for him to see the facts, empathize with the world around him, and understand how his actions can negatively affect and influence others.

(Yes, I'm a teacher who's had multiple trans students and seen what they've gone through, so maybe this is a bit personal for me, admittedly. But I also think people generally just *do not understand* how at-risk trans lives are. The statistics are beyond staggering.)