Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI think Chris Brown Music is amazing.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13443701&mesg_id=13443735
13443735, I think Chris Brown Music is amazing.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Oct-05-21 10:49 AM
For his generation and his type of R&B there is Usher than Chris Brown and that's it.

That being said I am also completely aware that taste in music is highly subjective so I wouldn't waste my breath trying to convince anyone how uniquely talented I think Chris Brown is.

I also know that there is a direct relationship between appreciation of Chris Brown and Chris Brown Love/Hate. That is, everyone who hates Chris Brown is sure to hate or are indifferent to his music. Vice Versa, folks who love Chris Brown's music have also found a way to look past his transgressions.

What's more interesting thing for me to think about is whether its causation or simply co-relation. Is my or any other fan's appreciation of Chris Brown's music the reason we look past the transgressions and/or the fact that the biggest haters of Chris Brown don't listen to his music.

I think about it because what I see online is that there is this tendacy for people to call for the cancelling/boycotting of things that they have no interest in in the first place. I bet 75% of the people who called for boycotting the NFL were not watching the NFL prior to that. I think you see the same thing about Chris Brown. I a lot of people who seem to be writing the most about how terrible Chris Brown don't seem to listen to much new Pop R&B. I mean you mention Mario, but that dude hasn't had a hit in like 15 years.

That's why the Lizzo thing is interesting to me. Of course, she is a Chris Brown fan so of course she wants to take a picture with him.

>James Browns music was foundational and what he contributed
>to Black people and the music industry is generational.
>What has Chris Brown contributed to the world to be considered
>more than an ok singer than can dance a bit?
>
>I think you overvalue fame and celebrity.
>Because if Mario had done half the shit Chris Brown does
>nobody would be in here talking about his ass in anything more
>than ambivalence.
>So Chris Brown’s celebrity, which is whatever, is the
>driving force behind any emotion behind him.
>
>All to say I don’t hate the guy, I just don't stomach him.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"