Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subject** CONFESSION WEDNESDAY **
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13442105
13442105, ** CONFESSION WEDNESDAY **
Posted by Geah, Wed Sep-15-21 05:29 AM
Zz
13442110, I never saw Soul Food
Posted by MEAT, Wed Sep-15-21 07:38 AM
Movie or show
13442218, as long as you've HEARD Soul Food you're good.
Posted by FLUIDJ, Wed Sep-15-21 04:12 PM
A heaping helping of fried chicken, Macaroni and cheese ......
and collard greens.

Too big for my jeans.

Smoke steams from under the lid that's on the pot.

Ain't never had allot; but thankful for the little that I got!

Why not be???

Fast food got me feeling sick.

Them crackers think they slick!

By trying to make this bullshit affordable....

I thank the Lord that my voice was recordable.

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"
13442228, Man said Ms Lady acting like in jail
Posted by MEAT, Wed Sep-15-21 05:47 PM
13442238, NO hush puppies? Or no hush puppies TO SELL??
Posted by FLUIDJ, Wed Sep-15-21 06:52 PM

13442372, Neither Have I
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Thu Sep-16-21 03:54 PM
I'm not a urban/black movie watcher, usually I stay away from these type of films cause usually they just over-the-top buffoonery acting 90% of the time and the usual "black woman scorned"/"black men are dogs" subject matter; I get it but it's just not my thing.

Another thing I'm kind of embarrassed to admit to other black people is I've never seen any of the Friday movies (but I have seen bits & pieces of the first one but never the whole thing).

I had a white co-worker reference a quote from "Friday" and when I told him I didn't know it cause I've never seen the movie, he was shocked ass hell & told me "c'mon everybody has seen Friday".

13442403, Why haven’t you seen Friday though?
Posted by MEAT, Thu Sep-16-21 07:49 PM
I just don’t watch dramas. And Soul Food seemed too earnest for my likes.
I love the Black spectrum though.

I may watch it though
Because this trailer seems edited much better than the ones I remember
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3lKicGtI-WI
13442407, Friday's Subject Matter Seems To Be About "Just Chilling"
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Thu Sep-16-21 11:02 PM
...a movie about doing nothing but just chillin' & getting into trouble seems like something that could be written in a tv episode of a black/urban comedy show, which there is plenty of out there that I've already seen over the decades.

I'm not a drama movie watcher as well but when it comes to black comedy movies, they are usually pretty much black-slapstick type stuff that hasn't changed in the past 40 plus years, once in a while a writer & director will come along and make something that has more creative content than what everyone else has done.
13442118, My wife has 16 years of experience as a college professor
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Sep-15-21 08:28 AM
and 5 years as a HS dance teacher… and she also teaches for Charlotte Ballet.

BFA and a Masters in Dance

and the school district says she doesn’t have the “required classes” to remain a teacher.

but they can’t tell her what classes she needs because they don’t know.

The world is out to get my wife. I have seen it with my own 2 eyes and its obvious these people around here really have problems with an educated Black woman. . I would say its the south but its everywhere we go. There is always a white woman who makes it her life’s mission to make my wife’s job harder than it needs to be. I feel for her because all she wants to do is go to work, get paid and come home and white people are
like “nah… why should we let that happen?”

and its impacting her health so now its really a problem. We will make it work because we always do so if she quits or tells them to fuck off I totally understand it.

13442219, Keep your head up Randall, and tell Beth to stay strong!
Posted by FLUIDJ, Wed Sep-15-21 04:15 PM

13442267, lmao.. that was good
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Sep-16-21 05:44 AM
really good
13442540, first thing I thought of too lol
Posted by Ray_Snill, Sat Sep-18-21 08:44 PM

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif
13442125, I don't think management are 'normal' human beings
Posted by handle, Wed Sep-15-21 09:00 AM
EVERY. DECISION. THEY. MAKE. IS. WRONG.

And they MUST make decisions or they think they'll die.
13442147, Management is a personality type
Posted by MEAT, Wed Sep-15-21 10:15 AM
13442244, workmate said mgmt have to be sociopath personality type
Posted by rdhull, Wed Sep-15-21 08:16 PM
>
13442160, ever since a colleague went into management
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Sep-15-21 10:55 AM
he has been insufferable.

they must be forced to sacrifice their empathy for that management title
13442181, this is exactly why i hate most corporate cultures
Posted by Damali, Wed Sep-15-21 12:56 PM
my approach to management, as a nonprofit CEO, in particular, was and is rooted in transparency & empathy

d

"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly
13442255, What you have to understand is management is a state of mind.
Posted by spades, Wed Sep-15-21 10:17 PM
You have to project confidence
You have to 'sound' smart

and...

There aren't really any wrong answers. Once you hit this point, it's a social game. It's survivor. Actual outcomes mean nothing.

Sincerely,

-Management.
13442357, Business structure is a sick mind game
Posted by handle, Thu Sep-16-21 02:44 PM
It's not about the work - it's about the credit when you get into management.
13442138, Kid off to college, finally separated, live begins at 49
Posted by tully_blanchard, Wed Sep-15-21 09:39 AM
Weird living alone for the first time in 20 years, but the confession is that I forgot how much moving sucks. Ex on her way to Chicago, I'm still in the A, kid in school in Boston. Let's get to living.

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

#2dopebrothersandastackofwax

https://www.instagram.com/bobgeorge87

https://www.instagram.com/thirtythree.three/
13442165, welcome to the Empty Nest Club! Its gonna be great!
Posted by Damali, Wed Sep-15-21 11:39 AM
i just joined like 6 months ago and its so wild living alone again...

cooking for 1 is HOARD cuz there's always too much leftovers. so i've started buying mini versions of certain appliances. like i have a tiny cast iron skillet so it forces me to make like 1 burger or 1 egg LOL

(not recommended..only weirdos like me do shit like that)

anyway,

i'm also hyper aware of where i set down my cell phone cuz there is no one here to say "call my phone real quick" if i misplace it

walking into the kitchen nude is amazing

buying juice or any beverage and its still there 3 days later is like WTF

and even shopping in the supermarket and only buying things that I LIKE.

ME

JUST ME

yo.

d
"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly
13442270, Yeah, now all that you said? Yes, very yes
Posted by tully_blanchard, Thu Sep-16-21 06:52 AM
I'm on my (and the dogs) schedule.

I wanna watch football all day? I can
I wanna buy some damn uhh...Mr. Pibb or some goofy shit? I can.

And yup...I bought a box of Triskets and forgot it was still there, cause I'm not used to shit still being there, lol.

That part is dope!

I miss my kid though. She's all the way in Boston and...sad face.

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

13442306, what is cooking?
Posted by mista k5, Thu Sep-16-21 12:01 PM
im struggling with that part lol i gave up and basically do take out all the time. sometimes a frozen pizza or such. i do make eggs on weekends but cooking a meal for one?? i ended up throwing away most of it or sticking it in the freezer and throwing it away over a year later lol

even drinks i cant get through. i stopped buying milk because i would only drink a quarter of the half gallon before it spoiled. i even started googling how long you can keep ice tea and such after opening lol

i do love buying what i want and only what i want. ive started buying the little ben & jerry pints and eat right out of them lol
13442314, i'm still relearning LOL
Posted by Damali, Thu Sep-16-21 12:30 PM
>im struggling with that part lol i gave up and basically do
>take out all the time. sometimes a frozen pizza or such. i do
>make eggs on weekends but cooking a meal for one?? i ended up
>throwing away most of it or sticking it in the freezer and
>throwing it away over a year later lol

it helps to think of the pre cooked portion first. like buying burger patties that i can cook one of, then store the other...an individual corn of cob. using one potato at a time...etc etc.

I feel like a bomb ass concept would be a Cooking for One series or section of the supermarket..or products.

cuz yeah, it takes alot of thought and planning. I wasted soooo much food in the months after my guys left

>
>even drinks i cant get through. i stopped buying milk because
>i would only drink a quarter of the half gallon before it
>spoiled. i even started googling how long you can keep ice tea
>and such after opening lol

omg yes!! now I buy those mini bottles of wine and pints of milk, if i need it. ice tea will last a good while, my dude LOL

>i do love buying what i want and only what i want. ive started
>buying the little ben & jerry pints and eat right out of them
>lol

it took me a good minute to even rediscover what i actually like cuz 99% of purchasing was about what THEY would want to eat. its wild. the first time i went to the market just for me, it took hours cuz i kept putting stuff back that was for them (in case they come visit!)...now i'm like fukk them kids LOL (only when food shopping)

d

13442168, Man that sounds terrifying!!!! Good for you!!
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Sep-15-21 11:52 AM

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13442269, The only thing terrifying is being "the old man at the club" now, lol
Posted by tully_blanchard, Thu Sep-16-21 06:48 AM
Never wanted to be that, but here we are, lol.

Thanks though! LOL. Finding out just how difficult Covid has made it to really get on with your life when your life changes. Nobody wants to meet up, and you dont wanna sound selfish by even suggesting to meet up. Then the people that are too willing to link, you're looking at them sideways like, "aint you scared of this Delta shit?"

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

13442303, I am 44 and have only lived alone....maybe 3 years
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Sep-16-21 11:13 AM
2 were in a dorm room and I don't think that counts.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13442541, that's one of the perks of being a Jehovah's Witness
Posted by Ray_Snill, Sat Sep-18-21 08:50 PM
when I visit another congregation, as soon as I say I'm single "BOOM!" it's like someone flips a switch and I become 1990 Denzel Washington lol. our women outnumber us guys something crazy like 9 to 1

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif
13442142, my SIL is remarried already
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Sep-15-21 10:05 AM
she just got a divorce a few months ago

didn’t even give the kids a chance to process the divorce..

this won’t end well

13442192, week 4 since starting antidepressants
Posted by double negative, Wed Sep-15-21 02:24 PM
these little white motherfuckers are underrated.

I never thought I would cross this line, but here I am.

they don't work how you think they would work. All I know is...when I'm with my kids, I'm in the moment. When I'm around people, I'm in the moment. It's like the mental entrances I used to run into when I wanted to into my own head for safety and security arent even covered with doors, they don't even exist...my brain and body are like, "welp, all you got is you right now homie...go head man"
13442304, when you find one that works for you the REALLY do work!
Posted by KnowOne, Thu Sep-16-21 11:15 AM
The only thing is eventually fighting the thought that comes over time that you dont need them any more.
13442195, On the phone with my sister. My nephew got 5150'd on Monday
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Sep-15-21 02:29 PM
And there's no information to give, apparently.

He said he'll tell her what's up when he gets back, but some kids at the school said that he said he was going to kill himself.

He's 15. This isn't the first time, as he went through this pretty bad about two years ago. but this last calendar year he was doing fairly well. He just went to his school home coming dance on Saturday, took pictures, and seemed happy as can be.

I'm conflicted because I always let him know he's welcome here whenever he wants to come through. He likes to work on my equipment and was excited when i upgraded everything, but he rarely takes me up on it. I don't press him on it though.

At some point, not sure if it was a nurse or therapist or who, said that my nephew said he feels isolated and alone, which was a shock to my sister.

So I dunno. Maybe I should press a little when he gets home, after he gets some time to get his bearings, of course.

She also explained my mom was in ICU with a breathing tube and just got out a couple days ago.

Not COVID. But she does have COPD/emphysema that's been getting progressively worse over the years. Apparently she just got out. But I guess she some sort of heart issue now too. This is an ongoing issue, and apparently she's been on an oxygen tank since early this year, and now requires a nurse to come to the house each day.

Seems like that end is on the horizon, and I have ridiculously mixed emotions about that.

My sister still maintains that relationship to a degree, so it's harder on her.

But goddamn, she's going through it right now. She never calls me to unload like this mid day. That's an after work/weekend convo. She's apologizing to me for dropping this all on me in the middle of the work day. Shit...that's what family is for, when you're actually family.
13442226, I love how big your heart is...
Posted by Damali, Wed Sep-15-21 05:42 PM
you got mad shit going on in your own personal home/work life, yet you hold space for others. i know its hard as hell, but its also beautiful to see

thank you for always maintaining your humanity no matter what.

d

13442196, over 9 days, i drove from NJ to Montreal to Toronto, to Buffalo & back.
Posted by Damali, Wed Sep-15-21 02:49 PM
I love solo road trips as they give me time to think and notice how i'm interacting with the world around me

i meet people when i travel alone, which wouldn't happen if i were focused on my travel companions...that freedom allows me to connect freely with other beings who recognize me

like the Senegalese man I met on the subway in Montreal and had two lovely dates with...the language barrier made our interactions equally fun and frustrating but Google Translate was a blessing...he was kind, generous, goofy, funny, patient. we don't need anything from each other but good company...so simple.

and the Turkish man who i met and had a brief lunch with at an outdoor cafe on Queen St in Toronto...we talked about our shared approach to being alive in the world, and how our inner child is our true self, and how parents unintentionally (or not) disrupt children's ability to stay connected to their true selves...and how we are powerful and in control of our lives in ways we fail to recognize..and how home is wherever we are in the moment, and how animals are always true to themselves and present in every single moment no matter what...we laughed, drank margaritas, danced on the sidewalk to whatever was playing on the restaurant playlist then parted ways.

and the Ukranian woman i met in Buffalo who was running the film festival that showed my short film...she let me stay in her empty downstairs apt for two nights, having never met me before..she had that Shimmy energy (if you've never met okp Shimmy, i'm sad for you)..spiritual, kind, a lover of people and nature... we talked about the beauty of rituals and how to create your own without feeling pressure to do what others do...about independent filmmaking, art, shrooms, photography, indigineous cultures, how Black cultural imprints show up throughout the world...we talked about how we don't like this country and want to renounce our citizenship to some other place...how this world we live in is so much an elaborate fantasy that belies the beauty and truth of our existence...we ate Pho in Buffalo at Pho Daddy and it was amazing

these people keep finding me and i find them.

life is dope.

d

13442211, yo these interactions sound dope! warmed my heart nm
Posted by vik, Wed Sep-15-21 04:00 PM
13442256, this is awesome
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Sep-15-21 10:28 PM
i love solo trips too, but i'm pretty quiet so i'm mostly exploring and people watching.
it's part of why i love taking trips with my brother because he talks to everyone which kinda makes me more social, and adventures ensue from there.

dope read tho.
13442251, ** CONFESSION WEDNESDAY **
Posted by Latina212, Wed Sep-15-21 09:38 PM
i'm so fucking frustrated

i booked a safari in kenya last year. changed the dates a few times cause of covid and finally cancelled it in january since i didn't expect to get vaccinated soon. i asked for a refund and got my money back quickly. i rescheduled the trip for december and paid the invoice in full in july. i was booking a driver in nairobi and he asked for my travel details. i realized the safari never sent my travel documents. i've been emailing the same woman i have been corresponding with for over a year and half and nothing. i've emailed every email i can find for the hotel and no one is replying. i even paid for skype to call them and they told me they would send me the info the next day...nothing. i had a coworker make a dummy inquiry on their site and the lady wrote her back the next day! wtf!!! i know i can dispute it with the cc and get my money back, but i picked this specific location because of all of the things it offers. i don't want my money back, i just want my travel documents. i know how shitty americans can be so i was always super polite and thankful.

my friend and i planned a trip to colorado this friday. she invited her mom, so i invited a friend from ny. we went to colorado last year and loved it, hence why we were going back. i'm back in school and things are starting to pick up so it isn't the best time for me to travel. i figured while they all hungout i can get away for an hour or two and write. my friend and her mom cancelled today. two days before our trip. i asked her to pay for part of the airbnb, she said she would pay any amount, so i said half, and she paid it. if my girl wasn't coming i would be stuck going to the mountains alone, but now i need to make sure my friend has a good time. she doesn't drive so i will have to do all of the driving.

i love traveling. its what i do best. i've never had someone cancel on me last minute or have a whole hotel chain stop answering my emails. i always try to take stock in a situation and see where i went wrong. i can't find it. not sure if there is a lesson in this or what.
13442254, They might got me at this new job....
Posted by spades, Wed Sep-15-21 10:13 PM
3 weeks vacation. Immediate benefits. 15 days paid vacation. They already clearing the promotion path for me. They brought me in at the top of their pay range....

Iono man.

I think they got me. I wasn't even feeling this job at first, either....
13442257, Jyeah.
Posted by Binlahab, Wed Sep-15-21 10:34 PM
Legitimately sexy af.

I'm not asking for confirmation if you've seen me and you're totally entitled to your opinion either way but I've been told by enough other sexy af ass people...that I'm sexy af.

So. I mean I've always felt this way. I knew it 25 yrs ago

But...it's different now. I am also stable. Lol

Can't have me tho. Unless you can
13442283, Confirming anyway. Yeeooowww!
Posted by Damali, Thu Sep-16-21 08:59 AM

13442298, 35 year old white woman at work asked “what a union?”
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Sep-16-21 10:52 AM
gotdamn America really fell the fuck off

13442485, waow nm
Posted by vik, Fri Sep-17-21 01:29 PM
13442933, In The South A Lot Of States Try To Keep Unions Out
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Thu Sep-23-21 10:55 AM
For some reason a lot of businesses & politicians see that as a positive, but I guess neither of them are for the people just for the green.

13442299, i dont like my legs
Posted by mista k5, Thu Sep-16-21 10:59 AM
or something...that dress post got me thinking lol

up until sometime in high school i slept in jeans. maybe even after. whats the logic to that?

i NEVER would wear shorts if i wasnt in PE or swimming.

for years i have moved to sleeping in shorts or less depending on the weather.

i only recently (past 3 years) started wearing shorts outside the house when i wasnt swimming lol mind you i live in a desert. these shorts are cargo or whatever style and i still dont have many.

this summer i started just rocking gym shorts to stores especially if im just doing a pick up and not going in.

im not saying my legs are bad or anything but i must hate them if i treated them like this for 30+ years lol

13442316, I feel like at some point in the mid-late 80's men became afraid of shorts
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Sep-16-21 12:36 PM
and that tide is only just now turning....

I can't put my finger on it...but I just know looking at old pictures, old music videos, my youth, etc....there's a noticeable gap in prominently seeing men in shorts for that period...
It's like some memo was distributed, or we were mass brainwashed and programmed to think that shorts were to be avoided.

Personally, fortunately, my anti-shorts phase was only briefly lived...pretty much about 5 years somewhere between college and shortly after college.

Nowadays I think I own more shorts than slacks. I definitely will wear some shorts well into the fall season if the temperature allows. And I don't even fuck with shorts that are longer than say a 9 1/2" inseem...basically if they don't stop above my knees I don't rock em.
My legs are awesome.

13442317, i forget which poster here had an anti-shorts agenda
Posted by Mynoriti, Thu Sep-16-21 12:38 PM
i'm pretty much in shorts 75% of the year lol
13442329, Ikemoses is anti shorts and anti jeans
Posted by MEAT, Thu Sep-16-21 01:56 PM
13442480, I think Ike was just anti Ike wearing shorts though
Posted by Mynoriti, Fri Sep-17-21 01:06 PM
if i remember right

this poster was on some no man should ever wear shorts kinda thing
13442383, I remember that post, there were some straight up…
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Sep-16-21 04:38 PM
LOL moments in there.
13442386, I vaguely remember those posts
Posted by Cocobrotha2, Thu Sep-16-21 04:52 PM
Maybe it was part of that whole "Thug" era when dudes weren't supposed to smile, dance or show any other kind of positive emotion.

I've heard in some middle eastern countries that shorts are only worn by kids... so a grown man in shorts is seen as childish.
13442526, 6 months of squats, deadlifts and lunges will have you rocking...
Posted by flipnile, Sat Sep-18-21 12:21 PM
...nut-huggers bruh.

Seriously. Lifting & working outreally helps you to appreciate your body. Wanting to eat right, get rest and all that.
13442544, Mannnn, I couldn’t agree with this more…
Posted by Dstl1, Sat Sep-18-21 10:00 PM
I fall into lulls with my mental health where I can’t motivate myself to go to the gym. In turn, I stay up late watching tv, eat like shit, drink tons of soda and generally don’t take great care of myself. Conversely, when I’m at my best and am hitting the gym hard…my entire outlook on how I treat my body, outside the gym, changes. I wish that I could find the key to stay in the pocket all the time.
13442552, Guys with small legs or calves don't wear shorts
Posted by Heinz, Sun Sep-19-21 12:06 PM
I didn't know how sensitive guys were about this shit until I started working out and the amount of times I get guys talking about my calves or asking what I do for them is fucking weird. I feel like my gym is that Entourage episode when Drama wants calve implants and keeps asking guys he see's about their legs.

I always had calves because im Filpino but I worked hard on my legs in the gym, im in Nike shawwwwt shorts that are made for runners mode these days. Thats all I wear. 5" or 6" running shorts LMAO

13442922, Nah, the prison gym body is a stereo type because we can see their legs.
Posted by spades, Thu Sep-23-21 09:21 AM
I think this metro sexual incarnation of manhood is a little different. We're A LOT more self-conscious (for better or for worse)

As a member of the chicken legs crew I can tell you, when the weather is warm, I be wearing shorts.

*shrug*

It is what it is.
13442978, Chicken leg crew member here.
Posted by tariqhu, Thu Sep-23-21 02:23 PM
I’m in shorts all the time.

I used to works my legs a lot. They never grew lol. They got really strong and defined, but never much bigger.
13442949, that is weirdo gym shit
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Sep-23-21 12:55 PM
dudes dont give a fuck about calf sizes unless they are gym rats

especially when you see dudes in flip flops with these hammer and nail ass toes.