Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectFair enough. Serious question here though.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13442073&mesg_id=13442301
13442301, Fair enough. Serious question here though.
Posted by Brew, Thu Sep-16-21 11:07 AM
I'm sensitive to overstepping, so I want to be clear that I'm asking because I'm genuinely interested in your perspective and want to gain insight; I am not being snarky @ all ...

re: this:

"so is your Black critique and concern for the way Black masculinity has been and continues to be stifled, attacked, abused and coerced by white patriarchal forces."

Couldn't allStah's "critique and concern" possibly be perceived as him doing the white patriarchal forces' work that you mentioned for them, on some level ? In other words, he's trying to police what Russ is wearing, too, and trying to define what *he* thinks masculinity (and more specifically, Black masculinity) should be, not just for himself, but for someone else (and, based on his commentary throughout this post (i.e. "you know damn well a man shouldn't wear a dress), everyone else, not just Russ and not just Black men).

As far as I'm aware, Russ chose that outfit himself. He's always been outwardly expressive with his clothing choices, unique, different. He's setting the tone, not the other way around. So wouldn't allStah's critique be somewhat regressive, or do you think it could at least be reasonably viewed that way ?

I want to triple-clarify that I'm asking with genuine curiosity about your perspective, not trying to trap you or anyone at all. I just think that you have tapped into an interesting and important conversation about the overlapping of gender norms/expectations and racism in this country and want to flesh it out a little bit.