Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThis is a really great breakdown. Can't argue with a single word.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13441779&mesg_id=13442206
13442206, This is a really great breakdown. Can't argue with a single word.
Posted by Brew, Wed Sep-15-21 03:46 PM
And that's a super super interesting perspective about being a teen girl hearing those songs, and how your identity probably plays into why that music wouldn't sound as magnetic to you as it would a young boy coming up during that time.

I can totally understand why you hear tension, aggression, misogyny in those beats - you painted a really good picture of why that's what you hear in those beats.

I was never and still am not particularly "masculine" in the traditional sense. I'm nowhere near an alpha, or bro, or any of that. So that's never what that music meant to me, even if I probably played into a lot of that bullshit as a result of the lyrics - both in that time period and in the years immediately after. So I'm not at all saying that I was immune to it or innocent in that regard at all. Just saying that I identified with it separately from that part of it, personally - at least consciously.

For me, Dre's music (and west coast music in general) during that time period and beyond has always been great summer, barbeque, party music. In the 80s/90s timeframe, I was riding bikes with my friends in the neighborhood and my town in general, blasting The Chronic, and Doggystyle, Death Certificate, etc. In high school, he was releasing all the late 90s/early 00s stuff, all of which was great music for pool parties, and for when I started drinking and smoking, and for proms, house parties, etc. - and we were simultaneously still listening to or revisiting all the early 90s Dre music at that time, too. And his music has continued on into my adulthood as great wedding music, etc.

Of course that's just my personal perspective, not telling my story to try to discount yours on any level. I'm just saying the reason *I* always gravitated to his production and music was because I love summer, love parties, love celebrating life .. and to me his music (and again, west coast/g-funk soundscapes in general) is the perfect soundtrack for that type of lifestyle.