Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectDr.Dre’s greatest beat: Fast Lane
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13441779
13441779, Dr.Dre’s greatest beat: Fast Lane
Posted by allStah, Sat Sep-11-21 09:52 AM
I used to play that song everyday....

And Bilal laced it.
13441780, I’d vote for Alwayz Into Something
Posted by DJR, Sat Sep-11-21 10:05 AM
But Fast Lane was a banger.
13441926, Because that bitch’s booty is so na-na-na-na-na-na-nasty
Posted by double negative, Mon Sep-13-21 12:06 PM
the patois was so random

the bassline is an epic creeper
13441783, Deeez Nuttz or Let Me Ride IMO
Posted by Brew, Sat Sep-11-21 10:44 AM
13441785, RE: Deeez Nuttz or Let Me Ride IMO
Posted by allStah, Sat Sep-11-21 11:00 AM
Deez Nuts?

That song is trash.

No. Let it ride is dope, but still not tough enough.

Still Dre is comparable though.. ...

13441917, Your taste is trash.
Posted by Brew, Mon Sep-13-21 11:46 AM
Imagine thinking Deeez Nuuuts isn't "tough enough" lololol. That's one of the hardest beats ever created. Top 3.

Still DRE is soft as puppy poo compared to Deeez Nuuuts.

Never heard of "Let it ride"
13441949, Deez nuts were supporting life on your chin.
Posted by allStah, Mon Sep-13-21 03:25 PM
13441954, You're really bad at this.
Posted by Brew, Mon Sep-13-21 03:59 PM
13441959, That flew over your head
Posted by allStah, Mon Sep-13-21 04:40 PM
13441888, DN is a really fucking good song.
Posted by double negative, Mon Sep-13-21 09:31 AM
it really layered, the record scratch as a percusive element is one of my favorite parts of the music

the words "ding-a-ling" in the lyrics

Nate Dogg's "I cant beeee faded, I'm a nigga from the motherfucking streeeeets" it's so hard, its so corny, it's so old head, but its the shit. Like, the next time you're having a bad day, just go to the bathroom and belt out those lines in your best Nate Dogg impression

you know what though, my ADHD brain just made me realize Dr Dre's brand of g-funk of totally directly influenced Moloko on 'Fun for me' https://youtu.be/hTjyhydMURI

13441919, Ha yea Dre's brand of g-funk inspired like 85% of popular music in the mid 90s lol.
Posted by Brew, Mon Sep-13-21 11:55 AM
Bad Boy wanted to replicate it. Jermaine Dupri signed Da Brat who was doing her best Snoop impression, with beats that sounded *just* like west coast g-funk. Adina Howard's "Freak Like Me" is a knock off attempt at g-funk (and an incredible song, to be clear). Etc. etc. etc. etc.

That shit was everywhere. I think Dre's influence and impact on music during that time period has actually been significantly *under* appreciated as time has gone on. The Chronic changed the sound of rap music specifically, and popular music generally, forever. And literally the entire music industry was trying to replicate his sound for the entire middle portion of the decade.

It's really incredible to reflect on that.

>you know what though, my ADHD brain just made me realize Dr
>Dre's brand of g-funk of totally directly influenced Moloko on
>'Fun for me' https://youtu.be/hTjyhydMURI
13441787, his beats havent aged well
Posted by falafel stand pimpin, Sat Sep-11-21 11:30 AM
especially the ones after chronic 2001
13441788, Hmmmm. I’m not a huge fan of the first chronic album
Posted by allStah, Sat Sep-11-21 11:42 AM
But everything else is still fire, especially those DOC beats.

His catalog is still 100

The main problem with those old beats are the lyrics and skits....

13441790, RE: Hmmmm. I’m not a huge fan of the first chronic album
Posted by DJR, Sat Sep-11-21 11:44 AM

>The main problem with those old beats are the lyrics and
>skits....
>

what???
13441791, RE: Hmmmm. I’m not a huge fan of the first chronic album
Posted by allStah, Sat Sep-11-21 12:09 PM
Some of those NWA lyrics are cringe worthy, as well as on
the chronic album.

I wasn’t a huge NWA fan, but no denying the beats.

Glorification of gang and drug life and wasn’t a real representation
of hip hop. It also led to the growth of gangster rap music which
led to the dark era of hip hop.
13441794, RE: Hmmmm. I’m not a huge fan of the first chronic album
Posted by DJR, Sat Sep-11-21 12:15 PM
>Some of those NWA lyrics are cringe worthy, as well as on
>the chronic album.
>
>I wasn’t a huge NWA fan, but no denying the beats.
>
>Glorification of gang and drug life and wasn’t a real
>representation
>of hip hop. It also led to the growth of gangster rap music
>which
>led to the dark era of hip hop.

I agree, but what does that have to do with the beats?

You said the problem with those beats was the lyrics and skits. I guess you meant “songs” or “albums” instead of “beats”, in which case I mostly agree.

But in terms of the beats, I think 91/92 Dre was the peak. He’s had other great eras too, but nothing touches the last NWA album and the Chronic, beats wise. IMO.
13441801, I wasn’t a fan of the album cover
Posted by legsdiamond, Sat Sep-11-21 02:34 PM
so the beats weren’t hot
13441789, That 03-05ish Game/50 era certainly didn’t
Posted by DJR, Sat Sep-11-21 11:43 AM
13442240, Game’s “Higher” is a fave from that time.
Posted by JFrost1117, Wed Sep-15-21 07:39 PM
Though, that may be more Che Pope than Dre.
13441821, Not true at all.
Posted by Brew, Sat Sep-11-21 09:46 PM
I prefer his NWA/Death Row-era production style (full, busy, funky beats as opposed to the more sparse, empty-space style he employed from 1999 and onward) but he produced a LOT of absolute bangers post-Chronic 2001 too. Specifically the album cuts he did for 50, Obie Trice, Xzibit, Game, etc.

I'm thinking "Best of Things," "Shit Hits the Fan," like 80% of Get Rich or Die Tryin', shit like that. He was lacing those beats.

And those beats still bang to this day.
13441802, Still think he did his best work on Doggystyle.
Posted by Ryan M, Sat Sep-11-21 02:37 PM
But yeah a lot of g-funk era lyrics did not age well.
13441823, Yea - Doggy Dogg World is one of the most gorgeous instrumentals ..
Posted by Brew, Sat Sep-11-21 09:49 PM
... ever created.

Tha Shiznit bangs hard. Gz and Hustlaz too.

All aged very, very well.
13441951, ^^^^^^^
Posted by soulfunk, Mon Sep-13-21 03:33 PM
Doggystyle to me is the culmination of all things Dre. From beginning to end.

Re: the lyrics I look past that just because it feels like they are all just playing characters like a movie role or something.
13441803, Might not label it the best but certified banger for sure
Posted by mikediggz, Sat Sep-11-21 02:47 PM
Was listening to my west coast playlist the other day and bitches ain’t shit came on and I was like woah ….but like someone said the lyrics are definitely cringe worthy on that one
13441830, Wasn't "Fast Lane" Co-Produced By Scott Storch
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Sat Sep-11-21 10:42 PM
I know that Scott did do the keys on it, I wouldn't be surprised that Scott actually produced it and Dr.Orchestrate just did his usually rearrangment and added better drums to it, then took credit.

13441844, No. Dre produced that track and Storch played the keys.
Posted by allStah, Sun Sep-12-21 01:58 AM
13442043, and even today....
Posted by The3rdOne, Tue Sep-14-21 02:26 PM
people STILL got the terms 'producer', 'beatmaker', and 'musician' fucked up
13441853, Yeah but
Posted by Anonymous, Sun Sep-12-21 08:33 AM
Why is it that when I copped a new Bilal album to replace my overplayed-scratched up joint, they replaced the original version with the remix?

I hate when they do shit like that.

Add it on as a bonus if you want the remix on the album.

I want to hear the version I’m used to when listening to the album.

No one cares about a Dre verse… I want the original Jada verse!

They did that shit with Crossroads back in the day and I’ll never understand why they didn’t just add the remix on at the end. I clearly understand why they put Tha Crossroads on the album because it ultimately made that album and Bone as big as they are. But damn… you don’t need to erase the original! Lol
13441879, Sally was another good one from the album.
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Mon Sep-13-21 08:41 AM
Though i dont trust that era Dr Dre because all his beats sound way too similar to later Scott Storch beats. Makes me wonder how many Dre actually came up with, rather than just credited with. Years later i realized alot of the songs i thought were produced by Dr Dre, like Busta Rhymes' Genesis and The Big Bang, were actually Storch beats.
13441882, Yes! And now is a good time for a POST JACK!
Posted by Anonymous, Mon Sep-13-21 08:51 AM
That Bilal album is my shit.

I loved it when it dropped and I love it now as well.

I can listen to it all the way through… although I always thought the last track was a bit awkward.

Bilal covered a lot of different styles on this album.

Starts off with the hip-hop joints

Goes into a bit more modern R&B

Then goes into the soulful joints

Then ends with a bit of experimentation

Great album… going to give it a spin this week.
13441918, Might have one of the best producer line ups of all time
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Mon Sep-13-21 11:52 AM
Dr Dre
MegaHertz
J Dilla
Raphael Saadiq
James Poyser
Mike City
Dahoud Darien
13441894, Doggystyle G’s Up, Hoes Down
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Sep-13-21 10:01 AM
they removed it due to a sample clearance issue but the first 150K tapes had it on there.

but that whole album was banging production wise..

13441922, Yep the copy I have has it on there. That song goes hard.
Posted by Brew, Mon Sep-13-21 11:58 AM
It was a much better take on the same sample used on "Can I Live" IMO. And that's saying a lot cuz the "Can I Live" sample usage is super super dope too. I just like Dre's take better cuz I'm a g-funk stan.
13441908, Let Me Ride is the correct answer.
Posted by PROMO, Mon Sep-13-21 10:46 AM
13441923, I think so too. It's so lush and beautiful. Another one ...
Posted by Brew, Mon Sep-13-21 11:59 AM
I think should be in the conversation is "Doggy Dogg World". Wooo baby is that beat gorgeous.
13441925, wrong question, there is no "greatest beat" when it comes to Dre
Posted by double negative, Mon Sep-13-21 12:04 PM
there is only - which beat are you appreciating at the moment.

13441970, I will not respect any answer that's mostly looping a classic funk track.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Sep-13-21 06:44 PM
That's why Still Dre is the correct answer.

As a kid, I have to say I wasn't overly impressed with the Chronic and most other G Funk stuff Dre was doing but my pops was blasting those parliament and funk records in the house anyway.

It was with the Chronic 2001 when I started to really see what Dre was doing.

Even XXXplosive which is a pretty recognizable sample is still a more impressive flip of a beat for me than say, Dre Day or Let me Ride.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13441971, XXXplosive, Fuck You, Still DRE....
Posted by DJR, Mon Sep-13-21 07:04 PM
Yeah, 2001 had some heat too.
13441975, Doggy Dogg World isn’t just a loop (besides the drums)
Posted by soulfunk, Mon Sep-13-21 08:47 PM
The bass line is iconic and was played with a synth bass patch (a PHAT synth bass patch), not a sample. The drums are a sample but even they aren’t just a straight loop - there’s a clap layered with the snare and pitched 808 layered with the kick.

To that point Gin and Juice is similar - there are samples within the beat but the bass line makes the song and that (along with the chords) were played while producing the beat. That’s why I feel like Doggystyle is the peak - The Chronic laid the blueprint with G Funk sampled loops, but by Doggystyle they were creating some MUSIC.

All that being said, I don’t know how much Dre was directly responsible for. He has sole production credit on most of it, and you don’t see credits for musicians playing parts like in the era from the 2001 album and going forward when Mike Elizondo and others were in the studio playing live keys and bass.
13441973, It's Snoop's Lodi Dodi for me
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Mon Sep-13-21 08:05 PM
Can't really think of a better Dre beat that isn't just a funk loop.
13441995, LOL @ the last few posts hating on sampled funk loops.
Posted by Brew, Tue Sep-14-21 09:33 AM
We all praise basically every other hip-hop producer whose beats are 100% reliant on sample loops, but when Dre's doing it, it's somehow sacrilege. Pretty strange.

And all of that ignores the fact that he interpolated a lot of the samples he used with live musicians in studio replaying portions of the original song, which isn't something that a lot of (if any) producers had been doing to that point.
13441997, Exactly. Plus my point in post 37 about him also making beats
Posted by soulfunk, Tue Sep-14-21 10:15 AM
with completely composed music with live musicians playing new ish that isn't even an interpolated sample.

But yeah - listen to Dre Day and then listen to Knee Deep by Funkadelic for an example of a sample interpolation. Completely replayed key bass (and not even replaying the same notes) and other key board parts, completely different drums, different tempo etc. Meanwhile a ton of east coast HOF producers were doing straight up loops, adding scratches, and calling it a day.

Edit - even on Let Me Ride which someone up above called a straight loop, you can hear that that bass line is completely replayed (on live bass) and not looped from the original. Even more impressive since he obviously samples the vocals from Mothership Connection on the hook so he could have just kept it as is.
13442002, Right exactly. People love to act like Dre and Diddy are one in the same.
Posted by Brew, Tue Sep-14-21 10:29 AM
>with completely composed music with live musicians playing
>new ish that isn't even an interpolated sample.
>
>But yeah - listen to Dre Day and then listen to Knee Deep by
>Funkadelic for an example of a sample interpolation.
>Completely replayed key bass (and not even replaying the same
>notes) and other key board parts, completely different drums,
>different tempo etc. Meanwhile a ton of east coast HOF
>producers were doing straight up loops, adding scratches, and
>calling it a day.

^^^^ exactly right. Which is perfectly OK, for the record. If the beat bangs, that's all that ultimately matters. But to act like Dre was lazily tacking lyrics on top of ripped off funk loops and putting his name on it is intellectually dishonest and objectively wrong. And that's on top of being inconsistent with how so many of the same people here and elsewhere praise the shit out of the east coast HOFers you mentioned as well as other sample-heavy legends like Madlib, Dilla, Q-Tip, DOOM, Alchemist, DJ Shadow, etc. etc. etc.
13442000, this is what I love about OKP. People always find new reasons to hate
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Sep-14-21 10:25 AM
on old shit.. lol.

They lyrics were awful
Its just a loop
Its a sample
He didnt do anything to it
But who really made the beat?

FOH.
13442001, The question is what is his best, I can't consider sampled loops as his best
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Sep-14-21 10:28 AM
Even tracks where he got live musicians to cover songs. Its just not as transformative enough for me to consider his best work. Doesn't mean its still not good stuff.

Snoop Dogg's Gz and Hustlas is an all time favorite track of mine, but not because of the production

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

13442005, Fair enough - but again you're severely understating it. It *was* transformative.
Posted by Brew, Tue Sep-14-21 10:40 AM
>Even tracks where he got live musicians to cover songs. Its
>just not as transformative enough for me to consider his best
>work. Doesn't mean its still not good stuff.
>
>
>Snoop Dogg's Gz and Hustlas is an all time favorite track of
>mine, but not because of the production

Like I mentioned in a post above, the entire music industry was trying to mimic what he was doing sonically during that time period. The radio was dominated by musicians in every genre trying to find a way to sound like Dre's g-funk. Legends like Q-Tip (also sample-heavy) were reverse engineering The Chronic to try and catch some of the magic. And again as far as I'm aware, he was one of the first in hip-hop to replay samples as opposed to just ripping them.

If that's not transformative, what is ?

It's fine to have a preference for one approach to beats over another, and from that angle I can see what you're getting at and where you're coming from. But to then act like what he was doing on The Chronic/during that general time period was somehow less impressive or not as genre-shifting as what he did later, *just* because he was basing some portions of that era's production on interpolated samples (which every producer was doing at the time), is just crazy to me. Borderline disrespectful lol.
13442053, When I say transformative, I meant transformative of the beat that was
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Sep-14-21 03:19 PM
sampled. He definitely transformed the industry and the sound of hip-hop during that period.

Hey Man, I've been getting beat up for having this opinion for 20+ years now. I know I am in the minority.

13442056, LOL got it and got it.
Posted by Brew, Tue Sep-14-21 03:29 PM
>RE: When I say transformative, I meant transformative of the beat that was sampled. He definitely transformed the industry and the sound of hip-hop during that period.

>Hey Man, I've been getting beat up for having this opinion for 20+ years now. I know I am in the minority.
13442224, AMEN. Same here
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Wed Sep-15-21 05:28 PM
>Hey Man, I've been getting beat up for having this opinion for
>20+ years now. I know I am in the minority.

13442035, Bi***es Ain't Sh** (n/m)
Posted by Original Juice, Tue Sep-14-21 02:01 PM
13442063, Can't think of a more "on brand" beat of his than Let Me Ride
Posted by spades, Tue Sep-14-21 04:21 PM
but MY fave is Bad Intentions.

I LOVE that beat.
13442197, Deep Cover... and that's not up for debate ever.
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Wed Sep-15-21 03:08 PM
13442198, Damn. Hard to believe it took this long.
Posted by Brew, Wed Sep-15-21 03:13 PM
13442200, I think beat-for-beat, millenium Dre >>> 80s and 90s Dre for me
Posted by kfine, Wed Sep-15-21 03:19 PM
For this reason, I lean towards Next Episode as his best production.

Prob an unpopular opinion lol. Hear me out tho:

I think a lot of the reverence Dre's NWA and G-Funk eras evokes is driven by nostalgia. As in, many Gen-X and Millenial men came of age to this music, and likely modeled some of their masculinity around it, so it's somewhat sentimental. But strictly talking about Dre's actual beatmaking in those eras? It's basically the sub-genre/sounds as a whole that stand out more than any one beat imho, especially since so many of them sound similar. Like, for some Dre beats from that era you can even find a couple others that are almost identical lol (eg. Dre Day v. What's My Name v. Can't C Me). I don't think this takes away from his accomplishment of essentially scoring 80s and 90s hood life tho. But compared to his later stuff, what I think these eras best exemplify is his ability to convey (negative) emotions musically. I used to play classical piano and Dre reminds me a bit of a hood Rachmaninoff*** in that regard.

For example, a lot of Dre's 80s stuff is uptempo but chaotic and confrontational-sounding, sometimes literally sampling police sirens or adding effects that mimicked them etc. Even without lyrics, listening with closed eyes, the imagery of flashing red-and-blue lights and police presence/chases/brutality easily comes to mind. It's like he wanted listeners to actually feel what it was like to be profiled/pursued/beaten by police and why they were rapping what they were rapping. Then, with his 90's stuff, his tempos slowed considerably but - especially with his Death Row repertoire - he relied even further on dark minor keys, discordant note accents, eerie synths, bell tolls, and just spooky fucking chord progressions overall.

I think all of this was extremely effective at translating the violence, mass incarceration, and poverty ravaging Black communities during the 80s and 90s into a soundscape one could actually feel/fear, and I've even read Dre's credited as a forefather of horrorcore by some. So while a lot of people in here mention how the *lyrics* from some songs are hard to listen to now lol, to my ears I hear all the tension, aggression, and misogyny in the actual beats and tbh this may factor into why I'm not often drawn to revisiting music from that era. I was a little girl/pre-teen for most of it and so there's really nothing in it for me. That said, I guess to me his "greatest" beats from that time are mostly the big singles that were danceable - Straight Outta Compton, Nuthin But A G Thang, What's My Name, Keep Their Heads Ringin, etc *shrug* But as a grown hip hop fan my actual fave pre-2001 Dre beat is prob Deep Cover.

Musically tho, I think Dre's beats from 2001 on are his most iconic. There was more variation, better musicality, and I think we don't give Dre enough credit for not churning out complete turds when he went more commercial lol... I mean he produced huge career singles for multiple mainstream artists (eg. 50, Gwen Stefani, Eminem) that weren't all that corny. So of this era, I think his "greatest" beats are Next Episode, Xxpplosive, and Still DRE. But even tho Xxplosive is prob my actual fave Dre beat overall as a fan, like I said I think I'd settle on Next Episode as the best production of his career. Not only does that beat slap, STILL, but it's one of few strip club anthems I can think of that just as easily worked at teen/high school dances, top 40 club/restaurants, got elderly white people to rush the dancefloor at weddings (I've seen it a few times lol), etc. It just has ridiculous range (and Dre also produced the only other one I can think of rt now, which is In Da Club).

***Rachmaninoff was a Late Romantic era Russian composer known for (what was then considered) particularly dark and turbulent compositions (eg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCtixpIWBto) and gratuitous use of the piano's lower register, especially in contrast to contemporaries/mentors like Chopin and Tchaikovsky. It's said that some of this darkness was inspired by political upheaval happening in Russia at the time (eg. Bolshevik revolution, which he was against). There's a couple other parallels I see with them too, but these are the main ones.
13442204, Lots of good points. You remind me that Eminem signing to Dre didn't
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Sep-15-21 03:39 PM
sound like the slam dunk it looks like in retrospect. I remember wondering how that was going to work and being surprised by his versatility with the beats and direction he provided for Eminem.

I think he kept Eminem from being a gimmick that signing him to anyone else might have turned out to be.

13442208, Really ? I actually think he played into that gimmick a lot.
Posted by Brew, Wed Sep-15-21 03:53 PM
>I think he kept Eminem from being a gimmick that signing him
>to anyone else might have turned out to be.

Remember the early Black Meets Evil songs ? Or "Any Man" from the Rawkus Soundbombing compilation ? Those may be the most traditionally "hip hop" songs Eminem ever made.

Meanwhile, Dre started him off with "My Name Is ...," and "Guilty Conscience," (literally the first two songs to leak from their early studio sessions, I remember it pretty vividly). And the "My Name Is .." cartoonish-first-single gimmick carried on into his next 4 albums.

So while I could and would agree that Dre gave him some level of legitimacy just by association, I don't think that Dre necessarily kept him away from gimmickry - I'd argue that he actually played and leaned directly into it, to varying results depending on which perspective you're judging the decision by (sales, hip-hop bonafides, etc.)

Not saying it was the wrong move, or even that some of those singles weren't good songs. Just responding to your point about gimmickry.
13442217, This is true too. I think where the answer lies is Dre packaged
Posted by kfine, Wed Sep-15-21 04:11 PM

Eminem's gimmickiness in a way that didn't flop.

Bc he soo could have flopped with that voice. BAD.

I'm not even an Em fan, but somehow they struck the right balance with going light and uptempo with those singles but also showcasing his ability to spit

and they also seemed to bet (correctly) that his particular brand of gimmickiness would appeal to younger demographics, which they leaned into with the videos

It worked out well for them that's for sure lol

13442220, Yea I think you're right.
Posted by Brew, Wed Sep-15-21 04:20 PM
I've done the "what if .." thing re: Eminem signing with Rawkus a lot. And while I think he may have ultimately created songs/albums/music that were more appealing to people like us (who obviously gravitated toward more underground hip-hop during that time period), I also think that Em had the potential to flame out quickly had he ended up signing with them.

Dre allowed him a level of immediate notoriety (both by association and by the way he was marketed/those early songs) that he arguably never would've achieved w/Rawkus, which gave him room to be imperfect but still perfect and showcase his immense talent to the masses.

I'd like to think that he still could've had an Evidence-esque career had he gone the Rawkus route just based on his talent, but you never know. Cuz I think your first point - that Dre packaged the Eminem gimmick in a way that didn't flop or fizzle out - is a good one. I think the cartoonish stuff Dre gave him allowed him to explore the zany/Slim Shady side of his persona more, and that's ultimately what endeared him to the masses as you mentioned. And I'm not sure a more "keep it real" (for lack of a way better term) type of label like Rawkus would've been the place for him to go "out there" like that with his lyrics and tone.

>RE: This is true too. I think where the answer lies is Dre packaged
>Eminem's gimmickiness in a way that didn't flop.
>
>Bc he soo could have flopped with that voice. BAD.
>
>I'm not even an Em fan, but somehow they struck the right
>balance with going light and uptempo with those singles but
>also showcasing his ability to spit
>
>and they also seemed to bet (correctly) that his particular
>brand of gimmickiness would appeal to younger demographics,
>which they leaned into with the videos
>
>It worked out well for them that's for sure lol
>
>
13442209, Wow, this is such a good point too re: Eminem. I've never thought of
Posted by kfine, Wed Sep-15-21 03:56 PM

his career that way like what if he had been signed/associated with other acts at the time.

I agree, he may very well have come across really gimmicky under different production. Especially with that voice.

Ya I think post-NWA and G-Funk Dre gets overshadowed quite a bit

>surprised by his versatility with the beats and direction he
>provided for Eminem.
>
>I think he kept Eminem from being a gimmick that signing him
>to anyone else might have turned out to be.
>
>
13442308, I remember seeing Em on one of those Rawkus tours with Duck Down
Posted by spenzalii, Thu Sep-16-21 12:03 PM
He fit the energy, but Buckshot, Dru Ha and 'em would NEVER have got Eminem to where he was, for better and worse. Signing with Dre was a gift and curse. He was given the opportunity to shine and show his talent, but was also saddled with the stature that comes with working with Dre, for better and worse.
13442435, Right, Em could have been an RA the Rugged Man
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Fri Sep-17-21 08:40 AM
Eminem could have stayed the Rawkus route and been an RA the Rugged Man or Action Bronson type. White kid whose primary focus is being authentic and a true hip-hop head. Dre created the path, and probably the only one who could create the path, that allowed him to have massive pop cross-over appeal, without going the route of Macklemore or G Eazy (which are both solid artist in their lane). Dre threaded the needle between the real hip-hop and pop success.

It might be a show but Eminem comes off as he might have been happier being a dirty back pack rapper without the pop success.

13442206, This is a really great breakdown. Can't argue with a single word.
Posted by Brew, Wed Sep-15-21 03:46 PM
And that's a super super interesting perspective about being a teen girl hearing those songs, and how your identity probably plays into why that music wouldn't sound as magnetic to you as it would a young boy coming up during that time.

I can totally understand why you hear tension, aggression, misogyny in those beats - you painted a really good picture of why that's what you hear in those beats.

I was never and still am not particularly "masculine" in the traditional sense. I'm nowhere near an alpha, or bro, or any of that. So that's never what that music meant to me, even if I probably played into a lot of that bullshit as a result of the lyrics - both in that time period and in the years immediately after. So I'm not at all saying that I was immune to it or innocent in that regard at all. Just saying that I identified with it separately from that part of it, personally - at least consciously.

For me, Dre's music (and west coast music in general) during that time period and beyond has always been great summer, barbeque, party music. In the 80s/90s timeframe, I was riding bikes with my friends in the neighborhood and my town in general, blasting The Chronic, and Doggystyle, Death Certificate, etc. In high school, he was releasing all the late 90s/early 00s stuff, all of which was great music for pool parties, and for when I started drinking and smoking, and for proms, house parties, etc. - and we were simultaneously still listening to or revisiting all the early 90s Dre music at that time, too. And his music has continued on into my adulthood as great wedding music, etc.

Of course that's just my personal perspective, not telling my story to try to discount yours on any level. I'm just saying the reason *I* always gravitated to his production and music was because I love summer, love parties, love celebrating life .. and to me his music (and again, west coast/g-funk soundscapes in general) is the perfect soundtrack for that type of lifestyle.
13442214, Thx! And ya I should clarify I wasn't trying to insinuate that any guy
Posted by kfine, Wed Sep-15-21 04:02 PM

who came of age to this music was also living out the misogyny, violence, etc or carries those values with them if they still like the music.

The lifestyle aspect you describe is more along the lines of how I envision this music played out for the vast majority of folks and stuck with them sentimentally.

But ya, I definitely still think there's a gendered element to how fondly someone can hear it, especially as adults now.
13442216, Oh I know you weren't. I only provided that context to paint a fuller picture.
Posted by Brew, Wed Sep-15-21 04:05 PM
>who came of age to this music was also living out the
>misogyny, violence, etc or carries those values with them if
>they still like the music.
>
>The lifestyle aspect you describe is more along the lines of
>how I envision this music played out for the vast majority of
>folks and stuck with them sentimentally.
>
>But ya, I definitely still think there's a gendered element to
>how fondly someone can hear it, especially as adults now.

There's no question about your last point, I think so too. Even if it's subconscious. It's hard not to come to that conclusion even if just based on the lyrics, aggression, and violence alone.
13442336, Im going to say it. I thought the album poisoned a lot of young impression
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Sep-16-21 02:06 PM
able young men. In two ways in particular.

1. I swear it seemed like everyone started smoking weed after that album dropped. It just may have been a function of when the album dropped and my age and my friends getting into teenage stuff but I always associate a burst of weed smoking with that album.

2. Ain't No Fun - When that snoop album came out it seemed to normalize running trains. Again, it just might have been that that album dropped just when I reached an age where experimenting with weed and sex was happening.

I am not on some C Delores Tucker stuff but I do think those albums did help normalize a lot of bad ish ("gangsta rap" in general becoming mainstream) to a lot of middle class suburban/rural kids.

13442438, This is on point. Up above in this post I waved it off myself
Posted by soulfunk, Fri Sep-17-21 08:49 AM
because it feels like they are just actors playing a "role" and it's all obviously hyperbole. And that's how I can justify listening to it now as a 42 year old man.

But as a middle school kid back then at that time??? You're absolutely right - me and my friends thought all that stuff was real life. I was never a weed head at all but I definitely had friends who were influenced by what they thought was "cool". Teenage weed use and drinking along with misogyny absolutely got normalized a bit during that period.

Like you mentioned some of that likely correlates to the age we were at the time, but it would be disingenuous to deny the influence of seeing those videos on mainstream MTV.

On a completely separate sidenote - one thing I do miss about that era was the quality of the clean versions of songs. They used to record completely separate vocals with even different rhymes or they'd add sound effects to edit instead of just cutting out on the explicit language. I was CORNY as a kid because my parents were so strict - I wasn't allowed to buy the actual albums so I just knew the clean versions from the radio edits and MTV/BET videos. Wasn't until the mid-90s when I was like a junior in high school that I heard the actual joints from Doggystyle and the Chronic and I remember being shocked lol...
13442231, Eazy-Duz-It album production >>>>
Posted by mista k5, Wed Sep-15-21 06:04 PM
Going back to it still amazes me how polished it was. It was very creative, a lot of beat changes, very fun. The NWA stuff wasn't as creative, I will say that. I wish there was more Eazy Duz It like beats in his catalog.

Millennium Dre hasn't aged as well to me. Not yet at least. It was definitely polished and it was huge when it came out. Might be a bit of my backpacker tendencies keeping me from enjoying it as much. When I think of this era Dre I think of Scott Storch and that sound is so repetitive to me. Definitely do still love many of the beats from this era, especially the ones you mentioned. My favorite is the one he did with Quik though, Put it on Me.

The G-Funk stuff was iconic and I still love it but it is a bit repetitive.
13442230, In Da Club … what was Dr.Dre contribution vs Dj Quik?
Posted by javi222, Wed Sep-15-21 05:50 PM
Just curious, i don’t have a favorite Dre track
13442381, From this it sounds like he gave Dre the drum sounds...
Posted by soulfunk, Thu Sep-16-21 04:17 PM
but didn't actually program them. Mike Elizondo got co-producer credit and likely is the one who came up with the trademark syncopated pattern on it, with Dre putting everything together and actually producing the song:

https://www.rap-up.com/2018/02/06/10-things-you-didnt-know-about-50-cent-get-rich-or-die-tryin/

Well, it’s because I helped Dr. Dre with the drums. I gave him those claps and that kick. He acknowledges that now. I used to say for years, ‘You guys don’t understand! I gave Dr. Dre those drum sounds!’
13442390, I am assuming that is why Quik was doing his rant
Posted by javi222, Thu Sep-16-21 06:01 PM
of being tired for not getting the credit he deserves

That article is correct, In Da Club was always translated in the media as an example of Dr Dre being a genius
13442236, G'z Up, Hoe's Down over damn near anything
Posted by spenzalii, Wed Sep-15-21 06:40 PM
That is one gorgeous beat

And Deep Cover/187 bangs to this day
13442405, Easily top 5 for me. My personal favorite is Dayz of Wayback.
Posted by Mignight Maruder, Thu Sep-16-21 09:51 PM
As some mentioned, Let Me Ride is quintessential G-Funk and the best representation of Dre’s sound and contribution to hip hop. I think Always Into Something kinda set the blueprint too. Real G’s Don’t Die, Fuck wit Dre Day and What’s My Name have to be up there too.

It’s pretty tough to identify Dre’s 10 best beats, let alone his single best!

Fast Lane is such a slept on classic though. That whole album is fire.