Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectYeah, though I think we can now safely say...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13441722&mesg_id=13441958
13441958, Yeah, though I think we can now safely say...
Posted by stravinskian, Mon Sep-13-21 04:37 PM
... that being outdoors substantially reduces transmission risk. Not necessarily to zero, but enough that it hopefully won't be a driver for major outbreaks.

The fact that we now know it's mostly aerosolized is good news and bad news. The bad news is that there's not much we can do about it indoors other than vaccination and masking (and the fact that it's aerosolized means the masks matter a lot more for those AROUND the masked person than for the masked person themselves, which a hell of a lot of people still refuse to understand). The good news is that if you're outdoors, with just a tiny bit of breeze, it'll dissipate almost immediately.

Sidenote: I saw a story the other day about how this new knowledge of its transmission (and the weight it gives to previously dismissed hypotheses about flu and cold viruses) implies that we should start thinking about the hygiene of shared air in the same way we think about the hygiene of municipal water supplies, that we should start regulating the air handling in public buildings the same way we regulate sewage and water supplies.

But yeah, outdoor events don't concern me as much as the reopening of schools and workplaces in regions with low vaccination rates. Thankfully the new OSHA mandate will blunt this a bit.