Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI'm talking more about the policies the majority of people support.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13441134&mesg_id=13441474
13441474, I'm talking more about the policies the majority of people support.
Posted by Brew, Tue Sep-07-21 12:57 PM
Sorry - should've been more specific/clear.

Anyway I'll find some sources about this. I was just reading about it a couple of weeks ago and have seen a ton of data on it before as well.

In essence the point of what I was reading was that a good portion of the 35% who identify as "moderate/centrist" in the data from your post are people who support, for example, reproductive rights, voting rights, common sense gun control, etc. But they may "identify" as centrist because they consider themselves "fiscally conservative" (for example) or some other type of conservative (pro police, as another example).

I also find that the majority of people I know who identify as "moderate" or "centrist" don't understand and/or actively follow US politics and therefore identify that way to avoid confrontation or difficult conversations. And I know this because when I dig a little deeper with these people, I tend to find that their positions on actual policy would more accurately be described as "liberal" or "progressive" even if they don't outwardly identify that way when asked. This is, of course, anecdotal - I'm just using this example to illuminate my larger point above about what I was reading recently.

So while you're absolutely right that many people who identify as "centrist" are more conservative than *me* or us on this board, that wasn't my point. Especially considering that most of us here, I would imagine, identify as "liberal" or "progressive/leftist."

My point was that common sense repro rights, voting rights, gun control, etc. laws appeal to the clear majority of the country, including a majority of those (the 35%) who identify as "centrist." At least the way I understand it.

I'll find the link. But I think we're both right here, just parsing the details.

>"The majority of the country is centrist/liberal.
>Repugs/conservatives are the clear minority."
>
>
>https://news.gallup.com/poll/328367/americans-political-ideology-held-steady-2020.aspx
>
>
>More people Identify as Centrist/Conservative and what people
>self identify as centrist most people here would see as
>conservative.
>
>
>
>
>**********
>"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then
>they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson