Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectDrivers: Is there an insurance card IN your vehicle?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13441078
13441078, Drivers: Is there an insurance card IN your vehicle?
Posted by Damali, Wed Dec-31-69 07:00 PM
Do you always keep a copy of your insurance card IN your car? Meaning in the glove box, visor etc..not on your person LOL

why or why not?

just curious

d

Poll question: Drivers: Is there an insurance card IN your vehicle?

Poll result (31 votes)
Yes, Always (24 votes)Vote
No, Never (7 votes)Vote
Sometimes / it depends (please explain) (0 votes)Vote

13441080, in my wallet
Posted by rdhull, Thu Sep-02-21 04:06 PM
13441081, LOL no i mean in the car itself. not on your person
Posted by Damali, Thu Sep-02-21 04:08 PM

"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly
13441083, ah..nah...not in the ride..just the registration is
Posted by rdhull, Thu Sep-02-21 04:10 PM
>
>"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of
>people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing
>at how stupid you are." - bshelly
13441082, Physical in the center console…
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Sep-02-21 04:08 PM
and the Progressive app on my phone on deck. Physical, just in case the officer wants to be difficult.
13441084, Yep...
Posted by Marbles, Thu Sep-02-21 04:10 PM

We keep the card in the glove compartment. I don't want give any cops a reason to hang around or hold me up if I'm stopped.
13441085, Photo copy in the glove compartment
Posted by luminous, Thu Sep-02-21 04:13 PM
13441086, Insurance and registration is always in the car, in the glove box.
Posted by soulfunk, Thu Sep-02-21 04:22 PM
I don’t keep in my wallet because I is a very slim Ridge wallet that just has a few cards and a money clip. Anytime I need my insurance and registration it’s while I’m in the car.
13441088, yeah
Posted by Mynoriti, Thu Sep-02-21 04:45 PM
but last time i got pulled over i couldn't find it so i just pulled it up on the phone.
13441098, nope. the cops can pull up my info with my license.
Posted by tariqhu, Thu Sep-02-21 07:04 PM
so no need to have the physical card.
13441103, yes, I'm black
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Sep-02-21 07:43 PM
13441104, Exactly. I’m not about to test telling a cop they can look up my
Posted by soulfunk, Thu Sep-02-21 08:08 PM
info when they come to the car asking to see license, registration, and insurance. I get my ish out the glove box as soon as I’m pulled over.
13441114, maybe it depends on juridiction,.I don't recall them asking
Posted by tariqhu, Thu Sep-02-21 10:23 PM
for anything besides the license. it's been a while since I've been ticketed, so maybe it's changed.
13441157, Yeah. In Michigan they typically ask to see all three.
Posted by soulfunk, Fri Sep-03-21 09:39 AM
13441161, Yup, same in Missouri…
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Sep-03-21 09:43 AM
license, registration and proof of insurance…in that order.
13441422, I just looked up the law for GA.
Posted by tariqhu, Tue Sep-07-21 09:01 AM
it actually says the card is required in the vehicle. guess I just got lucky when those cops didn't ask for anything beyond my license.

GA will be one of the first states to allow for licenses/IDs on ipads. wonder how this will affect the laws requiring us to have physical documentation.
13441105, yeah and on me as well
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Thu Sep-02-21 08:11 PM
I keep it in the sun visor
13441122, I keep them all in a stack in the glove compartment.
Posted by JFrost1117, Fri Sep-03-21 01:38 AM
GA State Patrol tried his hardest to stick me with something one morning but I gave him the stack and he got frustrated.
13441124, RE: Drivers: Is there an insurance card IN your vehicle?
Posted by Maddog, Fri Sep-03-21 02:15 AM
Hell yeah, and you can buy those sleeves that hold your registration card and insurance card...but I'm just an old dude chiming in for old timesake.
13441147, For some reason, my insurance co sends me a new one every quarter...
Posted by FLUIDJ, Fri Sep-03-21 09:00 AM
And they're these lil flimsy assed pieces of paper perforated on a larger sheet embedded with my statement....
I NEVER tear them shits off and eventually the whole stack gets shredded and recycled with all my other junk mail.
We pay all our shit online...I don't even know why they send them shits...

I haven't had a copy of my insurance card in my car or on my person in over 10 years.

I frequently don't even carry my driver's license because I don't really have a need to carry a wallet anymore either.
13441152, I will never understand why people don't carry their license
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Sep-03-21 09:28 AM
Always feels like these people are running from the law or have warrants.

“I dont have my ID?”

why bruh? you knew we were going out tonight.
13441167, It's in my wallet, and a lot of times I just walk out without grabbing wallet..
Posted by FLUIDJ, Fri Sep-03-21 09:48 AM
I mean...if I KNOW I'm gonna need it I'll take it....but with Rona...the only places we were going was outside and not anywhere where money needed to be spent....

Come to think of it....I don't even use a card to get gas...I've been using the Shell Gas app for almost 2 years now....I just pull up, open the app, enter my pump number and get gas and bounce.

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"
13441156, Bro, I’m sure you can elect for a paperless option….
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Sep-03-21 09:34 AM
our cards are paper, too. Whenever the new 6 month policy happens, I hop on the app, print a copy for each car. I just fold them joints up and throw one in each console.
13441165, See, that's the other thing. I have the State Farm app and can pull it up...
Posted by FLUIDJ, Fri Sep-03-21 09:45 AM
and I'm certain I've opted for paperless billing etc. multiple times...I finally gave up. On top of that I do auto-pay, so I rarely go to the website or app anyway.

I guess I could just throw the whole statement into the car when it arrives.....

13441600, I just started using the app too
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Thu Sep-09-21 08:52 AM
In fact the State Farm app allows you to send it to your Google cards.

I haven't messed with the paper insurance cards since.
13441606, ^^^not black
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Sep-09-21 09:20 AM
13441610, >VERY MUCH BLACK <
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Sep-09-21 10:30 AM

13441642, RE: >VERY MUCH BLACK <
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Sep-09-21 01:06 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Paper_Bag_Test
13441649, ^^^^other shit^^^^
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Sep-09-21 01:22 PM

13441154, if i remember to put it there...otherwise, its in my app
Posted by Cenario, Fri Sep-03-21 09:29 AM
13441437, NC puts the insurance company on the registration
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Sep-07-21 10:08 AM
13441679, I was scratching my head like “what y’all mean insurance card”
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Sep-09-21 07:17 PM
13441459, YES
Posted by jimaveli, Tue Sep-07-21 11:17 AM
I have always done that. I don't want no drama of any kind when I'm interacting with the police. So any rap music gets turned OFF, license and insurance are out, hands on the wheee-yaaaaall!, try to keep a solid 'yes/no sir' going, no snarky replies even to bitchass questions, and try to get on with the rest of the day/night without incident.

And forreal man, I didn't need to see people getting shot on camera before I understood that folks were getting beat up and shot...and sometimes in situations where it wasn't 'called for'.
13441554, Yep. Have to swap it every 6 months
Posted by spenzalii, Wed Sep-08-21 03:11 PM
Had a cop pull me over for 'speeding'. I had the proof of insurance, as they usually ask for all 3 in the DC/MD/VA area. Plus, being plack, I don't ever want to give them an excuse for some BS. I had the card from November, which renewed in March. Forgot to get the new card from my wife. Tried to explain to the cop. Didn't matter. Along with the speeding ticket, I got a $500 ticket for driving without insurance.

Sent that to the court and got that one thrown out. Never again
13441575, ^^^^Exactly^^^^
Posted by soulfunk, Wed Sep-08-21 06:09 PM
500 is high as heck for no proof of insurance, but I’ve had the exact same thing happen in the past, maybe 10 years ago. Long enough that I didn’t have it in my smart phone. Same thing, I had the expired certificate but not current, even though it auto-renewed. The police officer gave me like a $75 ticket for no proof of insurance (maybe there’s a different ticket for literally NO insurance) that he told me would be removed if I took my proof of insurance to the court, which it did.

These days they can look it all up on their system, but I’m not giving them any reasons to do any BS at all.
13441591, Does your insurer not have an App? Just curious....
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Sep-09-21 07:23 AM
13441592, Mine does (Stare Farm). But I’m not leaving any room for an
Posted by soulfunk, Thu Sep-09-21 07:54 AM
officer to have an issue with me. Might get an officer who wants to see the actual paper. OR I might be driving in a place where there isn’t a good signal.

Here in Michigan it’s THOSE places where the officers are most likely to make up some BS, out in the country somewhere away from the urban and suburban areas where the signal is weak and where the KKK is literally still active.

Much easier to just throw the paper certificate in the glove box every six months and have my ish all the way in order.
13441593, I'm just curious if any state laws actually say PAPER proof required
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Sep-09-21 08:13 AM
Everything I just googled simply says Proof of Insurance.... doesn't say what format. So for that matter I could just remember my policy number and tell them to phone it in couldn't I ?

For me...I just added the digital insurance card from the State Farm app directly to my Apple Wallet, so I can retrieve it even without a cell phone signal if necessary.

My biggest issue with the cards is that they send a new one every quarter or so and I simply don't remember to tear the thing out and replace it in the car....I know it's a little thing to remember to do...but...it's also such an easy thing to put off doing.

13441595, I'm sure the laws don't specifically say paper. I'm also not testing
Posted by soulfunk, Thu Sep-09-21 08:22 AM
my luck reciting the law to an officer. Like someone else mentioned up above - these days the officer can look up whether you have insurance or not just by running your tags. They'll still ask for license, registration, and insurance though, and there's no reason for me to risk anything crazy.

I'm a Black man, 6'5", and 250 lbs - it's ingrained in me to do everything in my power to make law enforcement officers feel as comfortable as possible and to not give them ANY excuse for BS.
13441597, Last time I got pulled over was probably 5+ years ago outside of Charlottesville
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Sep-09-21 08:34 AM
Charlottesville, VA. If I recall correctly, the only insurance card I had in the car was of course one of those "expired" ones from State Farm....but I told the cop to give me a second while I pulled up the website on my phone (probably some Samsung Android joint back then).... I pulled it up and showed him and he was like "Ok, that's good. Thanks"...

I guess I got lucky?

I did have the wife and kid with me in the car...so that probably helped too I guess.....

it's still FTP though...

13441607, oh you reaching for your phone? definitely not black...
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Sep-09-21 09:25 AM
>Everything I just googled simply says Proof of Insurance....
>doesn't say what format. So for that matter I could just
>remember my policy number and tell them to phone it in
>couldn't I ?

really??

>For me...I just added the digital insurance card from the
>State Farm app directly to my Apple Wallet, so I can retrieve
>it even without a cell phone signal if necessary.
>
>My biggest issue with the cards is that they send a new one
>every quarter or so and I simply don't remember to tear the
>thing out and replace it in the car....I know it's a little
>thing to remember to do...but...it's also such an easy thing
>to put off doing.
13441611, What kinda sicko doesn’t have a phone dash mount ???
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Sep-09-21 10:31 AM

13441619, A sicko who has a new car with a wireless charging cubby
Posted by soulfunk, Thu Sep-09-21 11:21 AM
and CarPlay with a 12 inch screen, so no need for a dash mount.
13441626, 5+ years ago.....
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Sep-09-21 11:35 AM
even now though....who puts their phone AWAY away when driving?? joint is either on the charging plate nook thing or inside the cup holder.

13441632, The wireless charging slot in my car IS put away, at least down
Posted by soulfunk, Thu Sep-09-21 12:08 PM
where I’d still need to grab it for the officer which was the original point.

Anyways - bottom line is I have a small sleeve which holds both my registration and insurance. I put the new insurance doc in that sleeve twice a year - once on my birthday when I’m also putting in the updated registration (and putting the new tab on my plate) and once six months from then when my auto-renew hits. Then I don’t think about it.
13441633, Why are you caping for TheTruth tho?? lol...all up in the crossfire
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Sep-09-21 12:12 PM

13441635, Phone or not, app or not, I'm not reaching for ANYTHING
Posted by spenzalii, Thu Sep-09-21 12:30 PM
The experience was probably no later than 2018, I believe. Not too far back that an app wasn't available (probably was/is, but I don't have it on my phone because... reasons?), but also not too far back where tensions were already high between black people and cops. Cops are used to it all being on paper in the glovebox, so I'm not going to risk having a technically challenged (or just wants to be an a$$hat that day) cop to let me show them my phone. Like I told my son, just get home safe.
13441640, I can't argue with that at all. The rest of my response to your post got
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Sep-09-21 12:56 PM
dropped somehow...my sig isn't even in the reply.

I think I was asking because I wanted to know how new this whole Insurance Card inside the app thing was and if it was a precursor to them no asking for a physical card anymore.

I don't think I actually noticed the tab on my app until mid last year really. That traffic stop I mentioned in previous post, I remember just pulling up the website or something on my phone. I was legit surprised that he was willing to accept it.

The back and forth with ThaTruth was some other shit....

13441641, good luck homie live your best life.
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Sep-09-21 01:04 PM
13441648, ^^^other shit^^^^^
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Sep-09-21 01:21 PM

13441678, this is preference for some.
Posted by tariqhu, Thu Sep-09-21 07:07 PM
I don't have physical cards in my cars. haven't in years. both cars are in my name but my wife drives one.

my wife got stopped pre-covid and was only asked for the license. my last stops were a bunch of years ago. was only asked for the license.

it's all in the system, so a cop would really be wasting their own time requesting it. hopefully I don't run into an asshole.

13441739, I'll assume it's an a$$hole cop with a gun with no reason
Posted by spenzalii, Fri Sep-10-21 03:59 PM

>
>it's all in the system, so a cop would really be wasting their
>own time requesting it. hopefully I don't run into an
>asshole.
>
>

In the DC area they seem to look for all 3. I don't doubt it can be all looked up (or if they don't see it anyway when they run the license), but for me it's eliminating one more reason I don't get home. Remembering to put the updated card in the glovebox is a mild annoyance, but not the end of the world. A bad traffic stop could be the end of the world. A piece of paper isn't worth that fight to me.
13441746, Exactly. I don’t get any other argument. Fluid said himself
Posted by soulfunk, Fri Sep-10-21 05:22 PM
that he was surprised when an officer let him look up the info online. Even if 75% of officers are cool like that, why risk meeting one of the 25% over a piece of paper you throw in the car a couple times a year? You really gonna cite the law to a police officer like “actually all I need to show is PROOF of insurance, the law doesn’t say it has to be paper.”