Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectYeah - and my follow up is who is doing cold calls within a company
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13438444&mesg_id=13438668
13438668, Yeah - and my follow up is who is doing cold calls within a company
Posted by soulfunk, Fri Jul-30-21 02:04 PM
to people who don't know who you are or what you do, without chatting or emailing first?

I work for a large, global corporation. Around 80% of my work though is with a small independent department of around 100 people, and we all know each other well. That other 20% of the time is with people in other departments, but even most of that would be people I know - managers/directors form other departments we collaborate with.

The only times I get random communications from someone I don't know would be maybe a newer person in an outside department who doesn't know the right person to call, or maybe someone high up who has a question about my team/department. And in both of those cases, they ALWAYS are chatting me on Teams or emailing first, which is where introductions will happen (and also where you can see what someone does in the org chart well before they are on the phone with you.) I really don't get the idea of cold calling (or receiving cold calls from) people at my company when we don't know each other prior to the call without a chat/email introduction.

If we're talking about external calls, reaching out to customers or vendors, then yes absolutely a call will begin with some type of introduction. Typically that will happen with a gatekeeper before I'm even getting to the person I need anyways. And even in this case, there would typically be some type of email communication first.