Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThe FIRST time?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13438277&mesg_id=13438388
13438388, The FIRST time?
Posted by jimaveli, Wed Jul-28-21 04:36 PM
>this post is about the first time you heard a song that
>changed your life or hit you in that special place.
>
>Like the first time I heard Egyptian Lover.
>
>I fucking bugged out and stood next to the DJ for 30 minutes
>at the pool asking him to play it again. Dude was annoyed af
>but I didn’t care. That shit was like a drug and I needed
>another hit.
>

Shiiiid, I'm not sure. Thinking...

Quiet Storm - Smokey Robinson. Let's go with that.

My pops and his friends AND my uncles were all about riding in these big azz 2-door sedans. Boats/slabs/whatevers. Lincoln. Monte Carlo. Burgundy azz Buicks. All of that. And I can still very clearly remember riding with my pops in a Monte Carlo while he went around doing random shit that old country dudes did back then: meeting up with the numbers dude at the corner store right off the freeway for the next board, eating at some hole in a wall where he knew the owner, linking up to talk side hustles of some kind with some random dude that I may or may not ever see again, bumping into someone he knew and then arguing and clowning for 30 minutes about sports, all of this stuff. I'm like 5 or so during all of this.

It would get to be evening time and he'd almost always have to stop off one more random place before we head back across town to the house. The sun would be going down. And the radio station would go into that slow jams/quiet storm session. And there was the damn Smokey and that badass song. I heard it so many times. It ALWAYS made me feel good and cool..riding around with my pops in a powder blue Monte Carlo floating with Smokey in the background. Or later on, it was a forest green Lincoln.

Now look, I don't know if those cars were raggedy or not, but it informed my driving tastes from then on out. I drive a big sedan even now for instance. Not those colors tho!

If it wasn't that Smokey, it was LTD - Stranger, which also blew my mind. That chorus (even more than the 'Can you woo woo WOO!' and all of the wonderful Cedric The Entertainer material that came after) is by far my favorite Jeffrey Osborne anything. NOBODAYYYYYY, NAH NAH NAH NAHHHHHH!