Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectdo you ever wait for the hammer to fall?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13437967
13437967, do you ever wait for the hammer to fall?
Posted by rdhull, Fri Jul-23-21 01:46 PM
Like when things are going way too good, feeling like 'ok, this has to stop somewhere and now a bad thing is going to even it out'?
13437971, therapy solved this for me
Posted by tomjohn29, Fri Jul-23-21 02:04 PM
13437972, therapy solved this for me
Posted by tomjohn29, Fri Jul-23-21 02:04 PM
13437973, hammer already fell
Posted by luminous, Fri Jul-23-21 02:07 PM
13437974, you mean, like….
Posted by Trinity444, Fri Jul-23-21 02:11 PM
things going so well something bad must be about to happen?

13438008, RE: you mean, like….
Posted by rdhull, Fri Jul-23-21 08:22 PM
>things going so well something bad must be about to happen?
>
ya lol
13438298, when I fly…
Posted by Trinity444, Wed Jul-28-21 09:17 AM
the whole time I’m thinking how I don’t want my life to end by plane crash. I’m good once we land.

It’s a control thing, for me…

13438014, Story of my life!
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Jul-23-21 09:50 PM
Even now, after a decade of things being mostly good, though imperfect, my brain treats good situations like I'm walking into a haunted cave in the middle of the demon woods, on the bank of the vampire river:

RUN, MOTHERFUCKER!

To this day I feel uncomfortable as fuck in a fresh outfit with new shoes. It's just odd and antithetical.

The problem there is, it can become very hard to determine if a negative outcome is a result of the natural order of things, or a self fulfilling prophecy.

I did a major upgrade to my studio gear. I got shit that I used to be envious of, and could only dream about. Every time I get anything new that presents a significant upgrade, depression and doubt kicks it.

Shit, I know a rapper who was on the grammy list this year. He didn't win, but his album was under consideration. He's got features with major players. He's a thing and I absolutely think he's on his way to mainstream stardom.

I have an in there, but that rush of excitment is snuffed out by self-doubt. Shit he offered to buy five joints years ago, but I felt he low balled me on the price and like a loser, I didn't do it.

My wife's got a lifelong friend who is already a known commodity as a singer. She's got joints with megastars. She gave me the green light to submit years ago. As long as Lebron has been a Laker, i've had that option.

I'm not name dropping here, or bragging. Everyone has some sort of connection. The point is, I have them, and I have a skill I could maximize and profit from, but that wait for that hammer kills it immediately.

That shit is a plague, but it's almost an addiction unto itself. I don't *want* that feeling. But since I'm so used to it, a piece of me craves it, as though the situation is a dissonant chord waiting for that resolution.

This car accident, while it fucking sucks, feels right at home. A piece of me feels all too comfortable with it, and while there are moments where I'm pondering my mortality in relation to my family and close relationships, this shit is oddly right as rain.

The paradox here, to use that term loosely, is that I have a keen understanding of what the issues are. I know the underlying root causes, I have the official diagnosis- PTSD and bipolar(or borderline personality, more specifically, there is some disupute between two seperate doctors there, but they're both in agreement that they may be splitting hairs- I have the prescription, I know the steps I need to take in order to course correct all of that.

But that doesn't feel right.
That feels off.
Askew. Again, dissonant.

Right now there's a bit of fire in my belly, as a result of the accident, but I know that one too. I feel that burn to fix this, that, and the other about myself, and I visualize the end result.

Something inevitably comes to snuff that flame, and that's where the self fulfilling prophecy comes in: whatever that something is, I recognize it every time, and I know what I need to do to stop it. Too often, I welcome it, like that old friend you really don't like, but that familiarity is oh so comforting.

Right now, I still want to kick it to the curb.

I realize this is waaaaay the fuck more than you or anyone asked for.

But it's definitely a day for getting things off my chest, and I appreciate the platform to just run with it.
13438016, always
Posted by Mynoriti, Fri Jul-23-21 10:10 PM
i mean there are plenty of moments and good times in-between but it's pretty much default mode
13438123, I wonder if growing up poor and/or Black plays a huge role
Posted by legsdiamond, Sun Jul-25-21 12:02 PM
in viewing life this way.

Do rich kids grow up thinking like this or are their hammers just shallow af?

On some “I told daddy I wanted a BMW and he got me a Benz, I hate my life!” steez

Now that I have finally “made it” to solid middle class I found myself waiting for the worst and good shit kept happening in my career and finances. After a few years I simply realized that “money/class” really makes a difference.

Unexpected bills that used to be “dayumn, I just got money.. life sucks, God is a comedian” is now simply a bill that is paid and I quickly move on.
13438125, and this post reminds me of the show Lincoln Heights
Posted by legsdiamond, Sun Jul-25-21 12:08 PM
Wife and I binged this and it was incredible how every other show would and with laughter and celebration only to have someone walk in or call with some bad news.

and now that I think about it Black sitcoms with poor families used this hammer drop formula.

Sanford and Son and Good Times come to mind.

13438134, I wouldn't say waiting.
Posted by tariqhu, Sun Jul-25-21 06:24 PM
but just know that whatever it is, it won't last forever. same when things are going poorly. it won't be long before it turns around.