Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectMen, do you own or wear jewelry?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13437960&mesg_id=13437960
13437960, Men, do you own or wear jewelry?
Posted by double negative, Fri Jul-23-21 12:53 PM
The youtube algo got me, I've been watching a lot of watch influencer content lately.

1. Goddamn, I am never not surprised at how many rich people there are in the world.

2. Watch collecting is fucking weird.

3. Luxury watches are just "acceptable" jewelry for (white) men (of certain means) - and like other things the culture flows from the top while also flowing up from the bottom. Rappers want to exude wealth and class. Rich people want to be "in" and cool.

so, through a combination of growing up dirt poor and through layers of my own psychology at play, I've never owned jewelry or nice jewelry.

Even now, on my ring finger, I'm wearing a silicone band.
I wear silicone because I still work with my hands and I am freaked out about ring avulsion - but still, I could maybe stand to have A work/date night piece.

I grew up with scarcity I don't think jewelry is a sound way to spend money and I think of it as something that will have to be sold off to be able to eat because I'm simultaneous still "there" mentally of being poor - but I'm also just mad uncomfortable spending that much dough on something even if I could afford it.

I'm going to just save all of this for therapy. Goddamn.