Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI got rear ended, they fled the scene, brand new car got totaled
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13437909
13437909, I got rear ended, they fled the scene, brand new car got totaled
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Jul-23-21 04:18 AM
Here's the result:

https://ibb.co/VQSFCGP

Keep me company during this 45 minute Uber ride home.

I've never been so happy to be alive. I'm ok, scraped up a bit, but now that in just chillin in this uber, my head and back are stratinh to feel it.

Looking at the car, I can't see any scenario where this car isn't completely totaled. But it's not even a month old, and while I have gap insurance, there goes that down payment.

But then I wonder if there's some fucked up chnicality and its not covered. I don't know. That thought kinda worries me Thia is either more or less complicated than I think it is.

Also, my car hit someone else's. So i have not idea how that plays out. Especially since the driver who rear ended me fled.

I dunno. What i know is that I can't wait to get home to my kids. My wife/coparent too. I know she's going to stress like crazy until yhis is all resolved though. In dreading that but maybe im overthinking.

Probably time to tap out on this stream of consciousness ass post though
13437911, Damn bruh, glad you're mostly ok!
Posted by KiloMcG, Fri Jul-23-21 05:20 AM
13437925, Thanks man
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Jul-23-21 09:43 AM
13437913, Shit, man…really sorry and glad…
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Jul-23-21 07:10 AM
this report isn’t worse. People are trash, seriously. Most importantly, though…you are headed home to your babies. They need you around. Hope the things go smoother than you could imagine. I know how my mind works and I wouldn’t be able to concentrate on a damn thing, wondering how it all was going to play out.
13437926, Same. I couldn't listen to anything on my drive home.
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Jul-23-21 09:46 AM
>This report isn’t worse. People are trash, seriously.
>Most importantly, though…you are headed home to your babies.
> They need you around. Hope the things go smoother than you
>could imagine. I know how my mind works and I wouldn’t be
>able to concentrate on a damn thing, wondering how it all was
>going to play out.

Felt. I live in my headphones, and my phone stays stocked with a wode variety of music, podcasts, movies, shows, youtube videos on all manner of subjects. whatever I listen to is driven by my mood. That ride back was a bitch because nothing worked. I kepy my headphones in though, and the drive back was a "muted silence" of sorts.
13437915, My goodness - wow. All I can say is it’s a blessing to be
Posted by soulfunk, Fri Jul-23-21 07:55 AM
alive and heading back to your family after that. Definitely get checked out at the hospital/doctor l, and best wishes for everything working out.
13437927, all that. what was dope was that my son- he's 6- was up watching Cars 3
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Jul-23-21 09:51 AM
Summertime sleep habits FTW!

So he came running into the living room as soon as he heard me. I've never been so happy to hug him.
13437916, crazy how shit can change in an instant...glad u good
Posted by mikediggz, Fri Jul-23-21 08:02 AM
13437929, yep. thanks.
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Jul-23-21 09:52 AM
13437917, Just got a new car myself. This is awful
Posted by Amritsar, Fri Jul-23-21 08:03 AM
I’m still in that paranoid honeymoon stage of a new car. Where I park it hella far away from entrances lol

But man. Hope it all works out okay
13437930, I'm mad at that part. it was an Escape SE Hybrid, which is quite nice
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Jul-23-21 09:54 AM
Gonna miss that 40 mpg city mileage.

Hopefully we can find something comparable after the dust settles
13437918, they drove off? or fled on foot?
Posted by PROMO, Fri Jul-23-21 08:47 AM
just asking cuz i'd think maybe in a collision that caused that much damage that their car would be totaled too.

hope they catch them. glad you're okay. i'm like you, my mind can't help but go to the financial repercussions, but honestly, there's no price on your health and safety so try to focus on the fact that you're relatively unscathed.

my wife used to work in auto insurance. take this with a grain of salt i suppose, but from her work i can tell you that, unfortunately, your car is definitely totaled.

i've seen them total cars for WAY less damage.

13437932, Fled on foot. I didn't see any of it but there were witnesses who told me
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Jul-23-21 10:04 AM
>just asking cuz i'd think maybe in a collision that caused
>that much damage that their car would be totaled too.

Oh that car is very likely done too.

https://ibb.co/6gPg4hw

Someone said there was an open alcohol bottle in the car. But i don't know that for sure. I briefly saw a couple in my rearview after the accident, and heard shouting/possible arguing. But multiple witnesses said they took off by foot.

Also, there was supposedly a third car hit, but they sped of right away.

>hope they catch them. glad you're okay. i'm like you, my mind
>can't help but go to the financial repercussions, but
>honestly, there's no price on your health and safety so try to
>focus on the fact that you're relatively unscathed.
>
>my wife used to work in auto insurance. take this with a grain
>of salt i suppose, but from her work i can tell you that,
>unfortunately, your car is definitely totaled.
>
>i've seen them total cars for WAY less damage.

Yeah the two guys- on the scene right away, suspiciously shogun😂 were the primary witnesses. Anyhow, they're saying this is definitely totaled. But I'll see.
13437923, Glad you're okay bruh. That damage is scary-looking
Posted by flipnile, Fri Jul-23-21 09:24 AM
You got a dashcam?

I've been meaning to get one for years, but procrastination.
13437933, nah. but it may be time
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Jul-23-21 10:05 AM
13437924, glad you're ok. hopefully you will be going forward.
Posted by tariqhu, Fri Jul-23-21 09:25 AM
hug the fam.
13437935, No doubt
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Jul-23-21 10:06 AM
>hug the fam.

I can't eait for my daughter to wake up. But i'm dreading that because she's hyper empathetic ad will very likely cry once she hears about it.
13437947, Glad you're ok, please see a dr...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Fri Jul-23-21 11:16 AM
..That wreck was serious and the vehicle is clearly totaled.

*You answered my questions about the other driver/vehicle in previous replies to the thread.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
13437952, On it, good sir! They fled on foot and left the car.
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Jul-23-21 11:56 AM
https://ibb.co/6gPg4hw

Theirs is fucked too

As it turns out, they may have done me a solid by screwing themselves in fleeing. That now makes a victim of a crime, and there are potentially additional services and compensation available.
13437979, yep you got everything you need
Posted by Ray_Snill, Fri Jul-23-21 02:26 PM
>https://ibb.co/6gPg4hw
>
>Theirs is fucked too
>
>As it turns out, they may have done me a solid by screwing
>themselves in fleeing. That now makes a victim of a crime, and
>there are potentially additional services and compensation
>available.
>

picture of damage, plates and VIN. glad you're ok but please see a doctor

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif
13437950, Glad this wasn't life altering
Posted by Mynoriti, Fri Jul-23-21 11:41 AM
total car can be replaced, but you only get one you.

depending how hard you were hit, i agree with the poster above that you should get yourself checked out
13437956, glad you’re ok…
Posted by Trinity444, Fri Jul-23-21 12:11 PM
most policies include an uninsured provision so you should be ok…

be well 😊
13437961, glad you're okay
Posted by Ashy Achilles, Fri Jul-23-21 12:57 PM
13437962, that car looks bad..youre lucky..good luck to ya
Posted by rdhull, Fri Jul-23-21 01:32 PM
13437963, Definitely glad you’re safe and able to be home.
Posted by Walk On, Fri Jul-23-21 01:33 PM
13437966, Shit man
Posted by snacks, Fri Jul-23-21 01:44 PM
Really sorry to hear, but also really encouraged that you were able to put it all in perspective so quickly. Wishing you health and a peaceful resolution to all of this
13437970, oh damn
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Jul-23-21 01:55 PM
glad you're alright man.

like three weeks after I got my civic a deer jumped on the hood, I knew I had come a ways just because I was able to even sleep after that

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
13437984, Thanks. I'll head to urgent care first thing tomorrow morning
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Jul-23-21 03:18 PM
I stood in a fairly long line to check in, and got a 5-6 hour wait estimates. Ill just gi home and rest, and drag my well rested carcass out of bed at 630 and try to be thr first few people in line.

Anyhie

As predicted, my daughter cried her sweet little eyes out over it.

It took a lot of reassuring to calm her down but that only lasted so long. Fortunately, her BFF is my friend's daughter, and she picked her up early today for an already scheduled sleepover, and they're too busy trying to wear out my friend for her to worry about lil ol me.

I couldn't be more proud of her capacity for empathy.

My son, conversely, couldn't care less, and I'm likewise proud, because he just echoes what I tell him: "it's ok daddy, you just have to be patient and you'll feel better.

His only concern is that me going to urgent care means he'll have to forge ahead with Mario Kart alone for a few hours, kicking the computers ass instead of mine😂

But yeah, I feel like I got a solid ass whoopin right about now.
13437988, RE: I got rear ended, they fled the scene, brand new car got totaled
Posted by jimaveli, Fri Jul-23-21 04:00 PM
Damn, Cold.

It is great that you're okay physically. You just gotta get the mental right next.

And trust me, hope that they total that ride. It will almost never be the same if they try to fix it and give it back to you.

Old man story alert:

I was in a weird wreck about 20 years ago. In the front driver side though. It was after dark. A dude ridiculously ran a light. Two lanes going in all 4 directions. I hesitated after my light turned green to turn left cuz I was arguing with the girl I had in the car with me. If not, I'm probably dead for real. Anyway, dude hit me and the car that was turning left the other way. Then he hit the curb and lost a wheel after TRYING TO GET AWAY.

He knocked a chunk of my front left end completely off of the car and of course the whole front bumper. No insurance. Not sober. Didn't show up to court of course. My insurance had to cover it and then pursue his insurance somehow.

The girl in the car with me went to physical therapy and tried to damn near do the Bobby Heenan neck brace shit to get paid. I don't know how much she got if anything. We didn't last.

It took me a while to recover mentally and get back to just driving. They were $500 off from totaling the ride. It took me a month to get it back. It was never the same. The hood was crooked. New wind noise. Crazy.

>Here's the result:
>
>https://ibb.co/VQSFCGP
>
>Keep me company during this 45 minute Uber ride home.
>
>I've never been so happy to be alive. I'm ok, scraped up a
>bit, but now that in just chillin in this uber, my head and
>back are stratinh to feel it.
>
>Looking at the car, I can't see any scenario where this car
>isn't completely totaled. But it's not even a month old, and
>while I have gap insurance, there goes that down payment.
>
>But then I wonder if there's some fucked up chnicality and its
>not covered. I don't know. That thought kinda worries me Thia
>is either more or less complicated than I think it is.
>
>Also, my car hit someone else's. So i have not idea how that
>plays out. Especially since the driver who rear ended me fled.
>
>
>I dunno. What i know is that I can't wait to get home to my
>kids. My wife/coparent too. I know she's going to stress like
>crazy until yhis is all resolved though. In dreading that but
>maybe im overthinking.
>
>Probably time to tap out on this stream of consciousness ass
>post though
13438013, OMG I'm so glad you're ok!!!!!!
Posted by Damali, Fri Jul-23-21 09:37 PM
that's fucking crazy...you're alive tho and that's all that matters

the rest is gonna be what its gonna be. police report, insurance claim and that's it.

wishing you the best on your healing journey...so sorry you had to go through that.

d

"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly
13438162, You are okay. That is a blessing. Hopefully a traffic cam caught it.
Posted by Castro, Mon Jul-26-21 02:03 PM
13438164, My neck. My back. Fucking hurts, goddamn
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Jul-26-21 02:25 PM
My shoulders are on fire, and my left knee doesn't like going up the stairs.

The urgent care doc said to expect further aches and pains over the course of the next few weeks, because often enough the real damage here isn't known/felt until later.

He wasn't lying, and I need to set an appointment with primary for a few weeks from now.

I got muscle relaxers, but I can only really take those at night.

Things look good on the coverage front though. Not counting that shit until I see that check though!

That said, I appreciate the love and well wishing.
13438174, this is when car accidents really suck.
Posted by tariqhu, Mon Jul-26-21 03:54 PM
hopefully the relaxers help and provide some good ass sleep.

13438185, Glad you made it out safe
Posted by AFRICAN, Mon Jul-26-21 06:21 PM
Wishing you a speedy recovery
13438629, Glad you're okay
Posted by sunchild, Fri Jul-30-21 10:06 AM
13445474, 5 herniated discs in my back and neck.
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Oct-20-21 05:00 PM
The first chiropractor was all but worthless. she kept telling me she may need to request an MRI, and each time I asked about it, she said I was getting better, not worse, so I didn't need one yet.

Thing is, I was "getting better", but that was compared to the initial aftermath of the accident, not my usual self.

About 6 weeks in, my knees started to feel week when i walked. One day, coming up the stairs, my right knee buckled and I felt an extremely painful pop, for lack of a better term. So I called my attorney a week or two later to discuss this, and she flipped her lid. She said the chiro kept saying I didn't need an MRI.

I got a new chiro, who did much better adjustments and assessments- and significant improvement overall, particularly in my shoulders. I got my MRI, with results, and a brief consultation with a pain management doctor appointment in the works as we speak. All this in the two and a half weeks since I switched to the new chiro.

I'll get a more detailed breakdown from my chiro tonight and we'll see how to proceed with therapy from there.

I guess I should have been more assertive in the early going, but I'm, not the expert here. I did my best to just listen. My doesn't think the first one believed me, which is probably the case but who knows.

Either way, lesson learned.

The first car got paid off and I wound up getting a check for the full deposit, so that was a huge plus.

This process is not fun though, I'll say that much. But it does mean I'm more or less forced to take a more proactive role in my physical health, so there's another plus.

The driver was eventually identified, and had no insurance. So it's all on mine. I have solid coverage though, so here's hoping for a decent payout at least, whenever the hell that happens.
13445523, Why are you going to chiropractors in the first place?
Posted by Backbone, Thu Oct-21-21 04:51 AM
Honest question. Are they cheaper than actual MDs?

Regardless, hope you make a speedy recovery. Back problems suck.
13445546, Great question. Honestly, I went were my attorneys inatructed me to go
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Oct-21-21 08:34 AM
Urgent care did fuckall for me. Took some xrays of my chest, said i was good, and sent me on my way with some muscle relaxers and ibruprofren. Guesd that's Kaiser for you.

The only appointment available from my primary was over three weeks out. And the pain was so much after a few daya that I needed to do something.

So I found a reputable attorney- at least based on customer feedback, and had my first appointment within two days. I got my adjustment, some cupping, did the hydrotherapy bed, and genuinely felt an improvement. They handled a lot of accidents and were setup fot this exact situation.

Problem is, my improvement leveled off and my knee developed an injuries, and there was still reluctance to give me an MRI.

The new chiropractor fixed all of that and Im proceeding with further treatment.

Since Kaiser is crazy clinical, with everything, and at least in my experience tends to do the bare minimum, (my urgent care visit included), this seemed like the better overall option.

I also want to make aure I'm adequately covered insurance wise. So following the guidance of my attorney, who handles this all the time, seems like the wiser choice for a situation about which I am completely clueless.

Hope that makes some sense.

13445720, Yeah, that makes sense.
Posted by Backbone, Fri Oct-22-21 10:16 AM
I'd still check with your primary if you can. Never hurts to have another pair of eyes on it, and as you kind of experienced already, chiropractors can range from capable to total quack.

Hope it's fixable, take care!
13445829, yeah some of them are decent people
Posted by Rjcc, Sat Oct-23-21 12:40 AM
but PT

after my wreck I had so much muscle tearing it took months to be alright again, even though I wasn't visibly injured

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
13445521, If the person u hit gets a lawyer involved.....
Posted by normal35762, Thu Oct-21-21 03:07 AM
Expect some court papers to come to your house. Even if it's a year to almost two years from the date of the accident. Although you aren't at fault you hit them with your car. If so you will send copies of those papers to your insurance company who will then get a lawyer to represent you and get a deposition. They will be going after the person who caused the accident but I think it is protocol to also at least try and touch the person who actually hit them. If you are getting a lawyer involved you will send them copies too and your lawyer, the person you hit's lawyer at the very least will be in touch with each other. Someone with more knowledge and experience can correct me.
13445747, this. my oldest son got hit in a chain reaction crash in va. 2 yrs later
Posted by poetx, Fri Oct-22-21 11:49 AM
(statute of limitations), the girl in the car he hit (woman behind him hit him) is suing for like 200k or some crazy shit. (50k for her and 3 passengers), and they served HIM, who got rear ended (totaled his car).

your insurance company should provide a lawyer for you if you're being sued. if cops came, documented scene, etc, it should be easy to prove that it wasn't your fault. but they gonna take you to court anyway.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad
13445786, damn. how did that turn out for him?
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Oct-22-21 03:06 PM
it's going to be hard for them to fome after me for anything, I think.

The car was parked and nobody was inside, to my knowledge. He came outaide the apartment after hearing or seeing the crash.

My insurance said that in situations like this, they always try, but it nearly never works, unless there's some other issues at play. Since this was a hit and run with the police report, as you said, sthere to document the whole incident, he doesn't really have a claim against me.

Bur you never know. He could have a lawyer uncle or something, who just wont let go.
13445750, that is so messed up about the hit and run. glad you're good, and hope
Posted by poetx, Fri Oct-22-21 11:49 AM
your recovery goes well and is complete.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad