Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectBezos thanks Amazon employees and customers paying for trip to space...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13437692
13437692, Bezos thanks Amazon employees and customers paying for trip to space...
Posted by luminous, Tue Jul-20-21 03:41 PM
https://www.npr.org/2021/07/20/1018414444/bezos-landed-thanked-amazon-workers-and-shoppers-for-paying-gave-away-200-millio

Moments after returning from the edge of space, Jeff Bezos thanked the Blue Origin team that made his flight possible. He also thanked the Texas town of Van Horn, which hosted Tuesday's launch. And then he said this:

"I want to thank every Amazon employee and every Amazon customer, 'cause you guys paid for all this. Thank you from the bottom of my heart very much."

The Internet responded with an incredulous gasp.

In the video, Bezos' comment appears earnest and elicits chuckles from the press-conference audience. But as the Earth's wealthiest person — a centibillionaire of extreme proportions, worth over $200 billion — the man has been under an intense microscope for his attitudes toward America's gaping wealth divide.

Amazon now employs nearly 1.3 million workers, the majority of them scanning and packing goods in warehouses. In 2018, Amazon was among the first major corporations to raise its starting wage to $15 an hour and its PR team has fought the perception of the company as a low-wage employer. In 2020, the company reported that its median wage was $29,007 a year.
13437694, 200..billion... Im going to write him a letter regarding my school loans
Posted by rdhull, Tue Jul-20-21 04:07 PM
13437697, Tone deaf. And he shoulda had a POC in that group, the young guy
Posted by blkprinceMD05, Tue Jul-20-21 04:19 PM
Coulda been Black or Latino or Asian. Nice move with the old lady tho becuz she always wanted to go to space and had actually pursued it
13437703, give him a break. he just landed his dildo. geez
Posted by tariqhu, Tue Jul-20-21 06:08 PM
13437712, lmao
Posted by kfine, Tue Jul-20-21 08:58 PM

there's not been nearly enough jokes about the wealthiest man on the planet launching himself into space in a giant penis imho

funniest I've seen so far was something about the cockpit but that's it lol
13437737, lulz
Posted by luminous, Wed Jul-21-21 09:25 AM
13437710, Amazon employees response
Posted by x49, Tue Jul-20-21 08:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goh2x_G0ct4
13437738, lulz
Posted by luminous, Wed Jul-21-21 09:25 AM
13437713, his other takeaway: why do we pollute Earth? we should pollute space!
Posted by kfine, Tue Jul-20-21 09:12 PM

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1417518650081349633

Jeff Bezos, hours after flying to space: "We need to take all heavy industry, all polluting industry, and move it into space. And keep Earth as this beautiful gem of a planet that it is."

this man is villainizing at warp speed
13437723, I don't see the issue at all. Seriously..... Outrage culture smh..
Posted by FLUIDJ, Wed Jul-21-21 06:35 AM

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"
13437731, ^^^ 95% of all items purchased thru Amazon^^^
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Jul-21-21 08:38 AM
13437733, 98% thank you very much!
Posted by FLUIDJ, Wed Jul-21-21 08:51 AM

13437732, He spit the space rocket version of this meme:
Posted by flipnile, Wed Jul-21-21 08:39 AM
https://eatliver.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/boss.jpg

13437734, lmao
Posted by Cenario, Wed Jul-21-21 09:00 AM
13437736, lulz
Posted by luminous, Wed Jul-21-21 09:24 AM
13437739, Of course not. You don't work there.
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jul-21-21 09:51 AM
It takes very little reading and listening to learn that they have serious problems with the way they treat their employees.

Some of those issues stems from Bezos believing that people are lazy. His employment model is designed for churn- running people ragged until they burn out, and then simply hiring new people to replace them.

Then there's the insane, over the top time monitoring.

It's a repugnant employee model that definitionally, and by design, overtly treats people as expendable assets.

So yes, given the outlandish wage gap between him and those employees, and the business model that's designed to maximize their efforts in a way that leads to exhaustion thanking the employees who paid for his fun little jaunt isn't just tone deaf, it's incredibly gross and repulsive.

There's nothing remotely "outrage culture" about calling him out for it.
13437740, a baby sitter canceled on us because she got a job at Amazon
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Jul-21-21 10:11 AM
2 weeks later she contacted us because she said the Amazon gig was crazy af.
13437746, A ton of my customers were Amazon employees before the raise
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jul-21-21 10:57 AM
I don't know the percentage of Amazon employees who qualified for public assistance, but I know I came across a significant number in my queues.

They did the $15 increase, which was great, but then so many of them got discontinued as a result of the increase that I flat out don't see them at all anymore.

The problem there is that the increase barely put them above the limits to qualify, and particularly where medical coverage is concerned, that increase was nowhere near enough to offset the loss. I don't know if they received coverage through Amazon at that point, or how much it cost, but at best it meant people were still treading water, and it was not a true increase when you factor the benefits they lost in the process.

He gave them some crumbs, but he could easily transform the income, lives- and, ahem- motherfucking buying power- of his employees with a few changes, so that every worker had a living wage.
13437768, great point. i was looking at it strictly from a consumer standpoint.
Posted by FLUIDJ, Wed Jul-21-21 12:14 PM

13437773, with that said...I also read it in a way that I have to assume he meant it...
Posted by FLUIDJ, Wed Jul-21-21 12:24 PM
1st he was thanking Amazon employees....full stop.
2nd he was thanking Amazon customers...for being customers .... and then an awkward joke of "You all paid for this".... full stop.

I'm completely aware of the issues surrounding working conditions at Amazon. I live in Arlington so Amazon is frequently a topic of local news coverage....

13437777, I still don’t understand how you arrived at that conclusion
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Jul-21-21 12:47 PM
based off everything you just wrote
13437779, in other words, it doesn't offend me as a customer/consumer....if
Posted by FLUIDJ, Wed Jul-21-21 12:54 PM
I was an employee....I guess I'd feel some kinda way about it.....
It seems pretty common for most CEOs to thank their employees and customers after a big achievement though....

13437785, This CEO, under these circumstances, is why it's getting this response
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jul-21-21 01:31 PM
>I was an employee....I guess I'd feel some kinda way about
>it.....

I, mean, I'm not an employee and still recognize how gross and tone deaf it is for him to thank them for his field trip to space.

We don't need to be employees to recognize the issues there and respond to it.

>It seems pretty common for most CEOs to thank their employees
>and customers after a big achievement though....

I sincerely don't think you get it.
13437788, yeah, you can't be thanking your employees while they're
Posted by tariqhu, Wed Jul-21-21 01:33 PM
currently shitting on you in the press.
13437819, I get that. My response is “meh”… not sheer outrage over a sound bite.
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Jul-22-21 07:11 AM
13437839, I'm not responding to your "meh"
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jul-22-21 09:25 AM
I'm responding to your demonstrably erroneous, contextually tone deaf reaction that the outrage at this specific situation is somehow an example of "outrage culture", as though there are not significant reasons for the outrage.

It's one thing for you to be "meh" within yourself.

It's another to be dismissive of the very real and serious reasons for the reactions it's generated.

You're either trolling here, or just really obtuse and don't get it.

Because you keep saying things like "i get that", all the while demonstrating that you definitively do not.
13437791, a big achievement? What are Amazon employees getting
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Jul-21-21 02:16 PM
for this space launch?

I can see thanking them if they hit a sales milestone but thanking your employees for your yacht that breaks some cruising record is weird as fuck.

I think you missed on this one or just really like Amazon so much you can’t even see the obvious.

13437820, Dude been planning and talking about this flight for how long?? Where
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Jul-22-21 07:16 AM
Was all the outrage leading up to it??
I’m just saying….
Sound bite didn’t move me….
Everybody on this “Fuck Amazon” bandwagon but low key still lining Amazon’s pockets….
I’m keeping it 100….
Even in my lil libral assed neighborhood I see Amazon trucks cruise through making deliveries hourly…..
I’d venture that majority of folks shitting on Amazon and that quote in this very post probably ripping open an Amazon box right.now.

C’mon fam….

13437821, people have been shitting on Bezo’s for years
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jul-22-21 07:48 AM
over work conditions, taxes, etc

maybe you were busy opening boxes
13437826, i'm admittedly very cool on the subject of Amazon hate.....
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Jul-22-21 08:21 AM
i'm aware of the reasons behind the outrage....I just don't share it.
*shrugs*
We don't all have to hate the same things.
13437836, lmao.. you just asked where was all the outrage
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jul-22-21 09:16 AM
which was the only reason I pointed it out.

Not saying you have to also have the same outrage.
13437841, true....
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Jul-22-21 09:31 AM

13437840, this isn't about needing you to hate the same things.
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jul-22-21 09:29 AM
Contrary to what you're saying, you're not simply "meh" on the subject.

You're also dismissive of the reaction others are having, and that's what's generating the responses you're getting.

Nobody needs or wants you to feel the same way.

But if you're going to dismiss the negative reaction as mere "outrage", as a result of "outrage culture", with no regard to the actual context and substance of the outrage, that's where you get push back.

no more, no less.

13437735, You do what you want when you poppin
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Jul-21-21 09:22 AM
13437793, I feel a little sad for dude?
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Jul-21-21 02:55 PM
only a little

he's richer than god, sure

he can go to space whenever he wants

but are we as jealous of jeff bezos as we should be?

he is not getting respect for being the second billionaire in space this month

bro went to space for like ten minutes, after taking years and billions of dollars

his wife left him

and everybody's like "idc, maybe don't make your employees piss in bottles"

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
13437824, Damn good point. Besides having some of that money, it's a big "no"
Posted by flipnile, Thu Jul-22-21 07:53 AM
>but are we as jealous of jeff bezos as we should be?

Seems like he's still trying too hard.
13437837, just another example of the human condition
Posted by mikediggz, Thu Jul-22-21 09:19 AM
no matter how much you have or what you have going for you, you cant win 'em all and youre gonna catch feelings about SOMETHING sooner or later lol.
13437856, nothing is ever enough
Posted by Rjcc, Thu Jul-22-21 11:25 AM
because of work stuff I ended up hanging out with a few people who have billions of dollars

and watching the dynamic went between someone with 5 billion+ and someone with 1 billion is like...wow. dude really thinks he's still a broke boy in his mind, meanwhile dude with 5 is looking at larry ellison like "I need private island money"

13438286, Capitalism is crazy...
Posted by soulfunk, Wed Jul-28-21 08:52 AM
And there is no end point at all - no point in which you've "won". For that person who is worth 1 billion, they had to be REALLY good at the capitalism game to get that far. And part of being REALLY good is wanting more - because if they didn't they would have stopped at 100 million realizing they "won". But to be worth 100 million they had to have been REALLY good at capitalism, or they would have stopped at 10 million..........

I try to remind myself of this as I look at my $350k house and feel like a broke boy compared to the people I know with $700k-million dollar houses, but it's hard.

>and watching the dynamic went between someone with 5 billion+
>and someone with 1 billion is like...wow. dude really thinks
>he's still a broke boy in his mind, meanwhile dude with 5 is
>looking at larry ellison like "I need private island money"

13438230, You can pay for school but you can't buy class.
Posted by spades, Tue Jul-27-21 12:58 PM
Dude is emotionally retarded / tone deaf and all the money in the world ain't gonna change that.

He'd prolly be better off fading from public life, and operating his schemes from behind the curtain.
13438271, facts
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Jul-28-21 03:38 AM
the coolest thing about him is a joke song some youtuber made for a Netflix special that is mocking dude

13438331, nope!
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Wed Jul-28-21 11:16 AM

>
13438365, Lost the space race, now trying to bribe NASA to let him bid again
Posted by Castro, Wed Jul-28-21 02:20 PM
so he can steal SpaceX and NASA's innovation and sell it back to NASA. That's it. That is the plan. Guess he realized his penis can't get much further than the 60 plus miles up without a lot of tech Blue Origin currently does not possess.