Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: New release date: 8/6 (2 weeks later). Lol.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13435901&mesg_id=13438046
13438046, RE: New release date: 8/6 (2 weeks later). Lol.
Posted by jimaveli, Sat Jul-24-21 10:08 AM
>https://twitter.com/XXL/status/1418782992193970177
>
>Seeing the mixed/lukewarm reaction to the music that was
>played in Atlanta (which honestly surprised me), I wouldn't be
>surprised if he just lost interest and shelved the project
>indefinitely.
>
>This is why he usually has to rely on these eye-opening
>outrage/controversy/spectacle promotional blitzes to drum up
>mainstream media hype immediately in the run up to an album.
>Because if it was left to the just the actual music, he'd
>struggle to attract a comparable level of interest.

That album isn’t coming out in 2 weeks. Even if it does, it won’t be a finished album..

The last 10-ish years have been rough for him musically. Lots of shenanigans and issues with getting stuff out. Lots of uneven releases too, even when he tried to keep it short. His core run had a lot of the same issues if we look back at it honestly but the resulting music was somewhat easily much better and easier to take in/understand what he was going for. And the try-hard vibe of lots of it was and still is endearing whereas now it just comes off as sloppiness.

I’ll openly vouch for most songs from the beginning through Cruel Summer. And at least a chunk of it stands up very well. It’s a great run even if it’s mostly over in terms of me expecting any kind of reliable and/or consistent work.

I tried making a kanye playlist recently. There’s like 2 hours of outtakes and loosies and I was jamming just putting it together. There’s 4 albums where I basically dragged the whole thing into the playlist. That and most of watch the throne too. I think it’s gonna go really well when I play it on random. It’s 7 hours and there’s shit missing. I can’t do that with a bunch of acts. He’s good as an music act if he never makes even one more likable SONG.