Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI'm of the opinion that a fair amount of them don't want to learn
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13435302&mesg_id=13435464
13435464, I'm of the opinion that a fair amount of them don't want to learn
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jun-17-21 11:45 AM
A former friend/mentor type- who was all about bootstrapping and personal responsibility and all that- would, about twice a year, come to me to fix whatever the fuck he did to his computer.

And so I just started doing a full reformat every time.

Anyhow, everything from email to netflix to looking at family photos required me to write out an exhaustive step by step list- literally starting with "turn on power button on computer".

This motherfucker gets paid low- but not entry level- 6 figures to run a wastewater treatment plant. I remember thinking, he's either got everything setup with color coded buttons, or he's just too lazy to pay attention to figure out this very basic shit.

I don't talk to dude any more, but I've come across a lot of his generation at various jobs who are just like that.

I finally had to go to a supervisor a few years ago to get some of the older people to stop coming to me every time they turned their fucking monitor to portrait or correct their printer destination or some shit. I started seeing IT show up fairly often after that, and it's still baffling that these people remained employed at a job that required computers, despite their seemingly complete illiteracy.