Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectHow many unvaccinated have died?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13435301&mesg_id=13435482
13435482, How many unvaccinated have died?
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jun-17-21 01:12 PM
Survey says: somewhere around 600K.

600K vs 5k.

Which number looks better to you?

At best, you're implying that vaccines aren't 100% effective in all cases.

In which case, congrats, we know that already. Same goes for condoms, home security systems, and myriad other protection methods. It's a practically useless talking point in that case.

Let's say that "10% reporting" number is accurate, what do you think the real number is, if 100% was reported?

Do you think every 10% of reporting will equate to the same 5k deaths? I doubt that holds, but I really haven't the slightest idea either way. But let's say that real number is 50K, for shits and giggles. In fact, just make one up from thin air, which isn't a stretch.

Because whatever that number is, we have to make a shit ton of assumptions just to reach that number. So get that data first.

Or, get the data that shows how much of the reporting we're actually receiving, and then get the as-yet unreported data.

The "just asking questions" schtick is great- but until/unless you're doing the legwork to actually get those answers, all you're doing is sewing baseless mistrust against vaccines.

At worst, you're making a case against being vaccinated.

In which case, you're actively contributing to a significant amount of harm because that movement does not exist in a vacuum.

You may well fall somewhere on a spectrum between those two extremes. I don't know. But this antivaxx shit is for the birds, and even folks who dance on the edges of it are contributing toward a dangerous trend.

The whole "what number are you ok with" is absurd.

It's a motherfucking non-sequitur, to keep it 100.

Not just because vaccinated people who are getting- and dying from- COVID are ridiculously low, but also because COVID 19 hasn't just killed large swaths of people, many of those who have survived have long lasting, if not permanent issues as a result.

I have no doubt that a small number of vaccinated people will still wind up catching it. But your "what number is ok with you" line is such a simplistic line of questioning that it begs the question:

Are you genuinely obtuse, or just willfully ignorant? Because there isn't much of a gray area there.