Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectyou're right.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13434099&mesg_id=13434312
13434312, you're right.
Posted by jane eyre, Wed Jun-02-21 05:18 PM
physical and mental illnesses are different, though, at times, connected.

the way to heal physical injuries or mental health issues isn't by domination, strength, or just pushing through. it's difficult to heal what you ignore, push through, or allow to fester--as if it isn't happening or isn't that big a deal. that approach often causes more injury and complications.

the pandemic has underscored that society isn't well and does a poor job of providing/encouraging/incentivizing all manner of things that promote physical and mental wellness (attitudes, habits, on & on).

if Naomi and the gst can find a way to create a work environment that promotes mental health and safety? i'm all for it. and i'm all for people normalizing the "ask" and expectation that a work environment shouldn't tear down or erode their mental health.

>most mental health issues are viewed as weakness or a case of an >athlete being difficult...

agree.

it's not right, in my mind, to qualify Venus and Serena as strong because they "can handle" the press if the goal is to use their "strength" as a ruler for Naomi--or anyone else.

besides, Naomi strikes me as mentally strong.

depression and anxiety don't happen because someone is mentally weak, nor is it resolved when people become mentally strong or suffer through the symptoms.