Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI think it ended in a stalemate
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13434099&mesg_id=13434309
13434309, I think it ended in a stalemate
Posted by Cocobrotha2, Wed Jun-02-21 04:34 PM
I wasn't in Seattle but from what I saw, he still wasn't exactly opening up and giving them insight into himself or the game... but he became enough of a character that at least they could write a little something about "that quirky Marshawn Lynch" to fill up some space in a story.

They stopped treating him like someone they could get serious information from and more like a joke. Not in a demeaning way though.

I think that worked for him because he'd truly be happy outside of the limelight while Osaka is trying to use her tennis fame as a social justice platform. So it would be hard for her to be milquetoast through interviews but then be taken seriously when she wants to say something meaningful. If you're out there giving opinions on racism, they're going to want comments on your clay court play.

If she doesn't want to be asked probing questions, she'd have to basically commit to being like Bill Belicheck... a known thoughtful person, off-the-record, who tries his best to never say anything interesting on-the-record.