Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectHere is the thing.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13434099&mesg_id=13434289
13434289, Here is the thing.
Posted by allStah, Wed Jun-02-21 01:39 PM
Tennis is highly protected from the press than any other sport, because
there is no locker room access, which is why press conferences are highly important.
That is the only time the press has access to the athlete to ask them questions.

The press is not allowed to go into the locker room to ask questions, nor can they
meet them outside the stadium. They are only allowed to access the athlete during
that 10-15 min press conference. And that was set up to protect the younger athletes
so they wouldn’t get overwhelmed.

Also, keep in mind that the press is different in every country. The European press is
the most aggressive press there is, especially in France. France is a country that
feels they can talk or ask anything, regardless of how sensitive or aggressive it is.
So Naomi’s boycott was ,in a way , directed towards the Press in France. She didn’t
boycott the press in Australia, nor were there any issues in Australia. That was
another issue I had with how everything was projected. It threw all media outlets
under the bus, when all country’s don’t have the same media platform.

In general, all tennis players endure the same repetitive questioning,
where some of the questions may be aggressive and insensitive, and some
are just basic, simple questions.

But no tennis player in the world gets more bad press than Nick Kyrgios.
No one. He gets degraded constantly. And I’m still trying to understand
what bad press Naomi has received....I don’t recall any. Questioning
someone’s ability on a particular surface is not bad press or attacking
someone. Those are just specific questions about someone’s ability in the
game. It’s fair questioning.