Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectQuestions for folks who watch tennis (or at least the Black athletes)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13434099&mesg_id=13434252
13434252, Questions for folks who watch tennis (or at least the Black athletes)
Posted by kfine, Wed Jun-02-21 10:08 AM
after watching that clip with Venus' Dad checking the reporter: is there definitely more shade/antagonism from press when it's tennis players like Naomi, Serena, etc getting interviewed v. other um, "more traditional" (eg. European), tennis players??

I mean I rarely watch the sport, but I've heard/seen over the years Serena getting body-/outfit-shamed for being thick, and I read (although not sure if true) that one of the topics Naomi's uncomfortable talking about is her record on clay (a phrase I don't quite know the meaning of, forgive me lol).

Are there even examples of non-Black tennis players being subjected to shaming or confidence-deflating questioning? Or, would you say it's mostly gendered? Like are male tennis players ever subjected to shady questioning or is it usually only female players?

I think I have an idea what the answer is lol, but also don't want to assume since I don't follow firsthand.

Tennis does come across like one of those stuffy communities tho - eg. golf, polo, the art auction world etc - where there's a clear cultural component that ends up being kinda hostile for "outsiders" (who are usually racialized). edit: and I have zero interest/exposure to these communities so I don't really care, but situations like Naomi's do make me feel for talented folks that kinda get stuck in that space.