Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectit's 2021 - we can just decide to be easier on each other
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13434099&mesg_id=13434132
13434132, it's 2021 - we can just decide to be easier on each other
Posted by Walleye, Tue Jun-01-21 10:03 AM
>Look at all the money these players have, yet they are still out having >unfortunate consequences of pushing their minds and bodies to unhealthy >limits. Should an athlete really suffer through miscarriages, premature
>babies murdering, raping, committing suicide, falling into
>deep depressions and ailments, while these sports institutions
>keep moving forward.

I hate that your list here is so tragically specific and yet not at all an exaggeration. I *love* sports, but I don't want to be responsible for somebody putting themselves through that to entertain me. It's bad enough that I kind of feel guilty about how my favorite players' knees are gonna feel in twenty years.

And we loved these things before they were multi-billion dollar enterprises, which means that it's not impossible to just dial everything back a bit.

Christ, part of the reason that she's made so much money and is so popular is the additional job requirement of developing para-social relationships with fans. So if we're going to pretend that watching this woman play tennis means she's our literal friend (we probably shouldn't do that, to be clear - but we're pretty much already there) then maybe we could follow that logic and tell our friend to do what she's got to do to be healthy and happy.

>Maybe sports, winning and money isn't all it's cracked up to
>be. Maybe Naomi stance is an opportunity for athletes to find
>some harmony between competitiveness and peace.

Well put! And I hope so. It's supposed to be fun, after all.