Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThey are trying to say a Chauvin juror attended a BLM protest
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13431847
13431847, They are trying to say a Chauvin juror attended a BLM protest
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue May-04-21 10:46 AM

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/551624-chauvin-juror-on-attending-protest-i-just-thought-it-was-a-good

but it was an MLK march in DC on the anniversary of the MLK speech

smh.. they trying it tho.
13431848, so they are just basically you can't have feelings or an opinion.
Posted by PROMO, Tue May-04-21 11:38 AM
which, obviously, is fucking ridiculous, but they'd actually want that to be the case were it possible.

13431850, its an issue if they can prove he lied on the jury questionnaire.
Posted by Cenario, Tue May-04-21 11:49 AM
what would happen next *if* that were true...i don't know/
13431851, Lied about what? His feelings on police brutality?
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue May-04-21 11:59 AM

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13431855, lied about attending a George Floyd rally or a police brutality rally
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue May-04-21 12:26 PM
13431864, but wouldn't he NOT have lied if it was an MLK celebration...
Posted by PROMO, Tue May-04-21 12:38 PM
and NOT an BLM/George Floyd protest?

i mean, i get it I GUESS, but that's another flaw of our legal system...there is almost this expectation that jurors be robots.

i mean, replace him w/ a black OR white juror who is against police running roughshod over black and brown bodies but just never went to a march - is the verdict gonna be different? highly unlikely.

shit's dumb.
13431923, he’s not lying.. but you know how they do. All rally’s look the same
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue May-04-21 02:29 PM
they see Black people marching and it’s automatically a BLM protest.

13431856, attending a BLM/George Floyd protest.
Posted by Cenario, Tue May-04-21 12:26 PM
13432065, He's literally wearing a "Get Your Knee Off My Neck" t-shirt
Posted by Fire1986, Wed May-05-21 12:18 PM
in the picture.
13432066, Just saw that. This will undoubtedly go very poorly.
Posted by Brew, Wed May-05-21 12:22 PM
13432067, This feels like a set up
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed May-05-21 12:27 PM
13432070, I honestly couldn't agree more.
Posted by Brew, Wed May-05-21 12:48 PM
Wouldn't put it past cops/defense to fucking find a way to plant a bogus jurist somehow.

Sounds crazy but ...... #meriKKKa
13432068, So what?
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Wed May-05-21 12:45 PM
Your wardrobe doesn't affect your ability to make a judgement based on fact.

Unless he was asked questions and lied about his clothing, this is a non issue.

The defense had their opportunity to eliminate potential jurors who they believed not to be impartial. You can't, after the fact, dig into their backgrounds to say that they shouldn't have been jurors.
13432069, Correct me if I'm wrong (genuine question here no snark) ..
Posted by Brew, Wed May-05-21 12:47 PM
... but isn't the whole point of the motion that this guy lied on his jury questionnaire about whether or not he even attended any rallies like this ? Nevermind what he wore etc. ?

If so, nothing you said is relevant - no matter how much I agree with it in theory - and they could very well grant a new trial.
13432080, I was replying to a post on what the guy was wearing
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Wed May-05-21 01:36 PM
<
<... but isn't the whole point of the motion <that this guy lied on his jury questionnaire <about whether or not he even attended any <rallies like this
<

The questionnaire asks "...have you, or anyone close to you, participated in protests about police use of force or police brutality?"

Unless any gathering of black folks is automatically considered a protest on police use of force, I can't see this going very far
13432074, I think he is clear and this won't lead to an overturn.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed May-05-21 01:24 PM
Look at the application.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/15909630/2020/12/JurorQuestionnaire12222020.pdf

Look at what they are saying he said in the screening.

Mitchell separately told Chauvin's attorney during the jury selection process that he had a “very favorable” opinion of the Black Lives Matter movement and that some police officers are “great guys." He insisted he could be impartial during the trial.

The March is not a Police Protest March. He was pretty clear how he felt about BLM and didn't hide anything.

They will make us try and tear apart this brother or debate whether the march was a police protest march but its all distraction.

Unfortunately they will use this to try and say the outcome was rigged, we shouldn't assist them in that stupid narrative.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

13432075, yeah.. I read he admitted he was sympathetic to BLM
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed May-05-21 01:29 PM
but the “knee on my neck” tshirt still worries me

just smells like something that could fugh up the conviction or reduce his sentence
13432083, Exactly.
Posted by Brew, Wed May-05-21 01:40 PM
>but the “knee on my neck” tshirt still worries me
>
>just smells like something that could fugh up the conviction
>or reduce his sentence

Which isn't right, obviously. But when has this country ever done what's "right" when it comes to issues of police and race.

History tells us that this could very well go Chauvin's way.
13432087, Hey Buddy, what do alternate jurors do?
Posted by shockvalue, Wed May-05-21 02:22 PM
Are they a thing in part for situations like this?

Cuz I'm over here thinking, if you had 13-14 jurors (1 or 2 of whom are designated alternates, whose votes are only applied to the total in the event there's an issue with jurors 1-12) instead of 12, you could avoid needing to overturn decisions.

However 1.) That's vastly more people serving jury duty
2.) Perhaps there would be issues with having "lower stakes" jurors participating in the process?

Just spitballing here.
13432088, they are there in case jurors get dismissed during the trial.
Posted by Cenario, Wed May-05-21 02:46 PM
13432089, Alternates don't take part in the deliberation
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Wed May-05-21 03:08 PM
They sit for the entire case thinking they are possibly a regular juror. Then at the end, they are told they are not needed and they can go home.

I think your proposed fix could get messy real easy since the decision making environment is changed. If people know they are alternates, they might behave differently.

With the same set of facts:
*As an alternate voter, you might vote guilty because you are independent of everyone else, and what they think has no influence on you. You're not a part of the consensus.

*But put together with 11 other jurors, you might choose to vote not guilty (because of peer pressure and all that, which is part of the process)

13432090, I am not a litigator but my understanding is it will take a lot more than
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed May-05-21 03:21 PM
a discrepancy over answering the questionnaire (which I do not think actually happened here, I think his answers were honest) is not enough to overturn a jury verdict. If they had discovered this mid-trial they easily could have had him booted for an alternative juror, but once that verdict is rendered it takes hella lot to overturn. You basically have to prove there would have been a different outcome but for this juror. If this was a case where he was the lone juror holding out for a conviction when everyone else was against it, maybe.

That doesn't seem to be the case here.

I know we can't trust the system but it would be such a huge deal if they overturned on these grounds. Think about all the verdicts that could be overturn if all you have to do when you lose is go back and scrutinize jurors answers to a questionnaire?

13432085, can we just step waaaaaay the fuck back for a second?
Posted by double negative, Wed May-05-21 01:54 PM
I mean, i get the whole points with this circus

BUUUUT

do you notice...

do you see...

how this shit has been flipped? how saying "life matters. do black lives not matter? killing us like dogs has to stop now" makes people snarl like angry dogs?

"YO, DIS MOTHERFUCKING JUROR IS AGAINST BLACK PEOPLE BEING KILLED LIKE ANIMALS"

13432091, Yeah, somehow saying BLM equals a prejudice that renders a juror
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed May-05-21 03:23 PM
unable to render a fair verdict is nuts to me and should not be entertained.

Maybe if he lied on a questionnaire but that doesn't at all seem to be the case....but we going to spend a lot of time talking about that t-shirt.