Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectTLDR of this sing: "Join us, there should be more of us"
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13431447&mesg_id=13431549
13431549, TLDR of this sing: "Join us, there should be more of us"
Posted by Cold Truth, Sat May-01-21 10:47 AM
Iidly just doing this for the check.at's what this song is about.
That's the entire point of it.

"I’m from the ghetto, what location? Two seconds from the Devil"

On down to Jay:

"Overlookin' the City of Angels, the angel invested in things
Unprecedented run
Everybody's gettin' bands, we just dance to different drums
I like who I've become"

This isn't about flossing
They're not showing off here

The real sins here are that the hook sucks- it's lazy and generic despite being the central theme of the song. and the bass is too loud in the mix.

Someone above said they're clearly just doing this for the check, which us nuts. They get that check because they do this.

And if your know *anything* about them- or, just listening to this song- it's clear that they don't exactly need whateve bag they'll get from this. This isn't Nicholas Cage (and De Niro, it seems) saying yes to everything because they'll go broke if they don't.

Lyrically they ramble a bit. Ok. I hate the hook.
But as far as a "sleepy beat", lmao. That's a soulful track, not a "sleepy" one. And it's solid, if unspectacular. But sleepy? Kick rocks.

IMO there's far too much shitting on this for the sake of doing it.

A lot of people have moved kn to other rappers with other sounds. Their style isn't current.
Etc.

But I think the criticism in here is far too heavy relative to the quality of the content, and I think the point of this song has been skewed toward something arrogant or braggadocius. It isn't.